"Sometimes imagination is no more than randomness applied." —Piet Francke

Project 52Dave's Project 52

Forum rules
Some posts may not be "safe for work". If you intend to post any nude, topless or implied nude images please include the phrase NSFW in your title.
davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Dave's Project 52

Post by davechinn » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:52 pm

minniev wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:06 pm
davechinn wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:30 pm
Week #4 of Project 52. I have forced myself out 3 times this week only to accept my third outing to be the addition of week 4.

This is an image of Cincinnati/Ohio River that was shot from a different location that I usually don't go, but has a different point of view. I'm including a B&W and color version, because the bridge is bright yellow, but my version has been toned down some. The bridge is known to the locals as the Big Mac Bridge, but the proper name is Daniel Carter Beard Bridge. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Ca ... ard_Bridge

The B&W version I used a 16mm f2.8 fisheye lens, where the color version was with a 80-200mm f2.8 at 80mm range.
These re great, Dave. That first one is so moody and dramatic with all those clouds and the sun blasting through the peephole. The second is a more geometric architectural shot with cool toning and an interesting angle. Nice additions to your portfolio.

Thanks Minnie !!! As you know, moody and dramatic is at the top of my list for favorites. I'm trying to mix things up and do struggle from week to week with subject matter. I do think once the weather breaks things will become easier for me.
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by davechinn » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:23 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:00 pm
davechinn wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:30 pm
Week #4 of Project 52. I have forced myself out 3 times this week only to accept my third outing to be the addition of week 4.

This is an image of Cincinnati/Ohio River that was shot from a different location that I usually don't go, but has a different point of view. I'm including a B&W and color version, because the bridge is bright yellow, but my version has been toned down some. The bridge is known to the locals as the Big Mac Bridge, but the proper name is Daniel Carter Beard Bridge. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Ca ... ard_Bridge

The B&W version I used a 16mm f2.8 fisheye lens, where the color version was with a 80-200mm f2.8 at 80mm range.
Dave, I am not a fan of fisheye lenses; I get woozy looking at the photos. Wonder what the b&w would have looked like if you had not used the fisheye. The mood is wonderful and memorable; well done. #2 is very sharp and dramatic but doesn't have the emotional impact on me that #1 does. It's postcard-perfect. The first it Dave-perfect. Matt

Thanks Matt !!! I do understand fisheye lenses aren't for everyone, but do wonder if I had not been mentioned the type of lens, would you have even noticed with this particular image? I'm just curious because the only difference I see is at the bottom of the photo. I'm not 100% satisfied as of yet with this lens because I still need to get more familiar with it. Although, I do believe once I do get more familiar, the more I will appreciate the results, since it's not an everyday pick-em-up lens. Thanks again !!!
Dave

David Alan Harvey

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by TomCofer » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:59 pm

Very nice start to your 52 Dave.
Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by davechinn » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:11 pm

TomCofer wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:59 pm
Very nice start to your 52 Dave.

Thanks Tom, much appreciated !!!
Dave

David Alan Harvey

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by davechinn » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:04 pm

Week #5 of Project 52. This week I was able to get a jump start on Project 52 by having warmer weather (yesterday Sunday) and thought I would take advantage of it.

I decided to go downtown Cincinnati and venture out for my favorite past time, Street Photography. This week I found myself on the corner or 5th & Vine Streets. I wasn't there very long before a city bus made a stop from the airport. T-Chill, as he calls himself, caught my attention almost immediately. As I observed, he walked across the street from me. I took a couple of shots and noticed he was unloading a small guitar from his line of luggage. As he sat on his luggage, use for a chair, and prior to his guitar playing, he lit some kind of sage. As the burning sage lingered I proceeded into his direction to come away with this image of many I took, but chose this one to be a favorite, for now, as there is another that's close. We'll see.

T-Chill said he was passing through Cincinnati from Minneapolis, Minnesota headed on bus to Austin, Texas. His father had just past away and his mother was a drug addict. He reminded me of my recent posted image 'Destination Unknown', so I felt the need to engage with T-Chill, for my own self satisfaction. I wished him luck on his journey as I moved on wanting more info.
Dave
Attachments
T-Chill DEC_9419w B&W #2.jpg
'T-Chill'

David Alan Harvey

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Matt Quinn » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:10 am

davechinn wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:04 pm
Week #5 of Project 52. This week I was able to get a jump start on Project 52 by having warmer weather (yesterday Sunday) and thought I would take advantage of it.

I decided to go downtown Cincinnati and venture out for my favorite past time, Street Photography. This week I found myself on the corner or 5th & Vine Streets. I wasn't there very long before a city bus made a stop from the airport. T-Chill, as he calls himself, caught my attention almost immediately. As I observed, he walked across the street from me. I took a couple of shots and noticed he was unloading a small guitar from his line of luggage. As he sat on his luggage, use for a chair, and prior to his guitar playing, he lit some kind of sage. As the burning sage lingered I proceeded into his direction to come away with this image of many I took, but chose this one to be a favorite, for now, as there is another that's close. We'll see.

T-Chill said he was passing through Cincinnati from Minneapolis, Minnesota headed on bus to Austin, Texas. His father had just past away and his mother was a drug addict. He reminded me of my recent posted image 'Destination Unknown', so I felt the need to engage with T-Chill, for my own self satisfaction. I wished him luck on his journey as I moved on wanting more info.
Dave
Dave, Very nicely done. Smooth transitions in tones, leading lines galore, an almost beautiful profile, just the right dof to convey a city scene with busy folks in the background out of focus. This one doesn't haunt me as the other did; a lot of baggage in both senses, though. The posture conveys more of a sense of pausing between episodes while the other conveyed having bottomed out. You have a marvelous touch with these scenes. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:18 pm

davechinn wrote:

Very nice. This very well composed street shot incorporates the best of your detailed semi-grunge-approach with the lighter touch you've been using lately on the face. I really like the look you've got going in this one. You are pushing us to a higher quality on these 52 projects.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by LindaShorey » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:28 pm

I loved the fish-eye bridge shot, Dave! Very unique and engaging. This musician image is stunningly pp'd, and as Matt mentions, the hint of crowd in background adds a great deal to the story.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by davechinn » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:17 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:10 am
davechinn wrote:

Dave
Dave, Very nicely done. Smooth transitions in tones, leading lines galore, an almost beautiful profile, just the right dof to convey a city scene with busy folks in the background out of focus. This one doesn't haunt me as the other did; a lot of baggage in both senses, though. The posture conveys more of a sense of pausing between episodes while the other conveyed having bottomed out. You have a marvelous touch with these scenes. Matt

Thanks Matt !!! I think maybe this one isn't as haunting to you because he seems to have a destination (in life) and also knows what that destination is, even in his travels, where the other was more of a mystery. Just my thought, I could be totally off base though.
Dave

David Alan Harvey

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by davechinn » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:49 pm

minniev wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:18 pm
davechinn wrote:

Very nice. This very well composed street shot incorporates the best of your detailed semi-grunge-approach with the lighter touch you've been using lately on the face. I really like the look you've got going in this one. You are pushing us to a higher quality on these 52 projects.

Thanks Minnie !!! His presence was an inspiration. I'm pleased with this image because of the composition and the lighting made it so much easier to post process. In the past I have been known to ignore what has to be done to get a good base photo. I hope maybe I'm past the dilemma of accepting mistakes I have made, and make new mistakes to grow on. Most of all, I took my time with him. So much so that I took time to take a variety of shots with a wide angle lens, but the image posted was a 80-200mm f2.8 lens. The wide angle lens forced me to get closer and still show what you call the kitchen sink. I may post a couple of those as well.
Dave

David Alan Harvey