Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
"Excellence is the gradual result of always striving to do better." - Pat Riley

Project 52Dave's Project 52

Forum rules
Some posts may not be "safe for work". If you intend to post any nude, topless or implied nude images please include the phrase NSFW in your title.
User avatar
davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1818
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:01 pm
Location: Ky
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Re: Dave's Project 52

Post by davechinn » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:37 pm

Yea, the zoom blur needs much practice for improvements, but I do appreciate the comment concerning the issue Frank. Sorry you lost a bet, but if you were in Vegas ... you would have been a WINNER !!!
Bahahaha !!! 8):
Dave
https://www.davechinn.com/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/35722922@N02/albums

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Posts: 4922
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:05 pm

davechinn wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:39 pm
Week #49 puts me back on track and it seems a train or railroad tracks would be appropriate for this week.I didn't get out to photograph any trains or tracks but I did capture some of Cincinnati Museum Center at Union Terminal, which originally Cincinnati Union Terminal. I remember riding in on a train there while a cub scout along with the others in the pack, approximately 1960 era.

The Cincinnati Museum Center at Union Terminal, originally Cincinnati Union Terminal, is a mixed-use complex in the Queensgate neighborhood of Cincinnati, Ohio, United States. Once a major passenger train station, it went into sharp decline during the postwar decline of railroad travel. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cincinnat ... n_Terminal

With its structural design I felt the need to, AGAIN, practice and use the fisheye lens. One of my goals at some point in a visit, is to try capture some images down by where the trains arrived and departed. I'm not sure if the area is open to the public any longer.
I’m interested in and a bit jealous of your fish eye experiments. You picked a great subject, and these are compelling images. Is the lens doing all the work of making smooth arcs with just the right amount of distortion, or do you have to help it out in post? These are really cool. The middle one is my favorite but I like em all. Do share more of this fish eye experiment.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1818
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:01 pm
Location: Ky
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by davechinn » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:03 pm

minniev wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:05 pm
davechinn wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:39 pm
Week #49 puts me back on track and it seems a train or railroad tracks would be appropriate for this week.I didn't get out to photograph any trains or tracks but I did capture some of Cincinnati Museum Center at Union Terminal, which originally Cincinnati Union Terminal. I remember riding in on a train there while a cub scout along with the others in the pack, approximately 1960 era.

The Cincinnati Museum Center at Union Terminal, originally Cincinnati Union Terminal, is a mixed-use complex in the Queensgate neighborhood of Cincinnati, Ohio, United States. Once a major passenger train station, it went into sharp decline during the postwar decline of railroad travel. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cincinnat ... n_Terminal

With its structural design I felt the need to, AGAIN, practice and use the fisheye lens. One of my goals at some point in a visit, is to try capture some images down by where the trains arrived and departed. I'm not sure if the area is open to the public any longer.
I’m interested in and a bit jealous of your fish eye experiments. You picked a great subject, and these are compelling images. Is the lens doing all the work of making smooth arcs with just the right amount of distortion, or do you have to help it out in post? These are really cool. The middle one is my favorite but I like em all. Do share more of this fish eye experiment.

Thanks Minnie !!! Experimentation with the fisheye was just that, experimentation. I have found that the lens is not for every image, but if there is a slight curve in a fence, sidewalk or any subject etc; the fisheye enhances the curves even more naturally with a wide angle view so to speak. If I crop too much then the results will be less noticeable so I rarely do any cropping in order to keep the effect, so everything is composed in camera.

The Union Terminal structure happens to be almost perfect for a fisheye lens because of its structural design and it encourages me to seek out more opportunities to use the lens. So to answer your question, "Is the lens doing all the work of making smooth arcs with just the right amount of distortion, or do you have to help it out in post"? The answer would be yes. The lens is doing all of the work with the effects and no, I don't help smooth arcs. Sometimes any arcs will be just a little too much for my tastes, so for now I will accept it as is but will continue to experiment to possibly make corrections in that area. For now, I think it the composition in each image that will make or break an image with the use of a fisheye lens. I have posted a tree image while we were in New Orleans, I'm sure you remember, but even though the effect is there, its just not a very good image to use a fisheye, IMO.

I'm glad to see that you're interested in the results and possibly obtain one for yourself in the near future?
Dave
Attachments
Tree DEC_0548w.jpg
https://www.davechinn.com/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/35722922@N02/albums

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

User avatar
PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1826
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:38 pm
Location: WV
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by PietFrancke » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:22 pm

those trees are fascinating. Your hero tree will need to become a member of something else at some point in time. I'm guessing that this capture would have been tough or impossible without the fisheye (getting the whole tree). Warping it so that it stands straight may have to be part of things unless you want the "entrance way" aspect that the lean gives. But would be cool to see the tree straight just to see if it has the same impact. As it is, there is a lot of drama and character to it, only problem being that I thing the main part of it needs to stand straight somehow. Sorry for all the rambling, but trees as a subject fascinate me. I am not capable of doing them justice!

User avatar
Psjunkie
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Posts: 2412
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:20 am
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by Psjunkie » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:45 pm

I know you're not there now but the tree is worth a retake, maybe next time....I could grow to like it

User avatar
davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1818
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:01 pm
Location: Ky
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by davechinn » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:52 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:22 pm
those trees are fascinating. Your hero tree will need to become a member of something else at some point in time. I'm guessing that this capture would have been tough or impossible without the fisheye (getting the whole tree). Warping it so that it stands straight may have to be part of things unless you want the "entrance way" aspect that the lean gives. But would be cool to see the tree straight just to see if it has the same impact. As it is, there is a lot of drama and character to it, only problem being that I thing the main part of it needs to stand straight somehow. Sorry for all the rambling, but trees as a subject fascinate me. I am not capable of doing them justice!

Thanks Piet !!! Glad you think so highly of this tree. The photo really doesn't do it justice. I did take one with a wide angle lens, but I was a little closer to the tree so therefore did not get the whole tree in frame.
Dave
Attachments
Tree DEC_0545w.jpg
https://www.davechinn.com/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/35722922@N02/albums

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

User avatar
davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1818
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:01 pm
Location: Ky
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by davechinn » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:54 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:45 pm
I know you're not there now but the tree is worth a retake, maybe next time....I could grow to like it

Thanks Frank, a retake it will be upon the next visit. I'm confident there will be another one in the future.
Dave
https://www.davechinn.com/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/35722922@N02/albums

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Posts: 4922
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:50 pm

I saw the trees as Dave shot them, on the back of his camera, but this is the first time I've seen one of them posted. I love what the fisheye does with the lens. I agree that it would be fun to shoot these trees from a variety of angles and manipulate the "lean" for balance as you did with the train station. I have never seen live oaks shot this way, and I think it has great possibilities. They are beautiful trees, and the lens only accentuates their drama.

Next time, Dave, we'll have to go to City Park, which is built on the old dueling grounds. The old oaks are still standing-the duels were held underneath them.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1818
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:01 pm
Location: Ky
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by davechinn » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:48 pm

Old dueling grounds??? Excellent idea !!!
https://www.davechinn.com/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/35722922@N02/albums

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Posts: 4922
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:39 pm

davechinn wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:48 pm
Old dueling grounds??? Excellent idea !!!
Could be wonderful backdrops for composites...
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest