"Don't sit down and wait for the opportunities to come. Get up and make them." —Madam C.J. Walker

Project 52Dave's Project 52

Forum rules
Some posts may not be "safe for work". If you intend to post any nude, topless or implied nude images please include the phrase NSFW in your title.
davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Dave's Project 52

Post by davechinn » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:56 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:11 pm
Dave, your Rhino number three has me wondering why I am trying to play with color when I should be learning black and white.

Thanks Piet, glad I'm having some sort of impact, but believe it or not, there was a time and not so long ago, I had no interest in B&W. Then, for some strange reason, it seemed as tho a bolt of lightning struck me and now I can't seem to be able to get away from it. That's not to say I dislike color. I appreciate your thoughts and actually consider it a compliment.
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by davechinn » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:29 pm

Week #20 takes me back to the zoo, once again. I'm rather enjoying the visits and with a seasons pass I have no worries of taking everything in on one visit. As always, my first stop was the gorilla exhibit. My last visit of a few days ago had no activity as to this visit, one gorilla was out and viewable. I did some research and this particular gorilla, a 29-year-old male, Mshindi [ma-shin-dee] was relocated from the Louisville Zoo to Cincinnati as a replacement for the,western lowland gorilla Harambe, a 17-year-old that was shot and killed on May 28, 2016 because a three-year-old boy climbed into a gorilla enclosure and was grabbed and dragged. Fearing for the boy's life, a zoo worker shot and killed Harambe.
Attachments
Mshindi [ma-shin-dee] DEC_4603w B&W.jpg
'Mshindi' (ma-shin-dee)

David Alan Harvey

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by minniev » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:20 am

davechinn wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:29 pm
Week #20 takes me back to the zoo, once again. I'm rather enjoying the visits and with a seasons pass I have no worries of taking everything in on one visit. As always, my first stop was the gorilla exhibit. My last visit of a few days ago had no activity as to this visit, one gorilla was out and viewable. I did some research and this particular gorilla, a 29-year-old male, Mshindi [ma-shin-dee] was relocated from the Louisville Zoo to Cincinnati as a replacement for the,western lowland gorilla Harambe, a 17-year-old that was shot and killed on May 28, 2016 because a three-year-old boy climbed into a gorilla enclosure and was grabbed and dragged. Fearing for the boy's life, a zoo worker shot and killed Harambe.
A powerful animal portrait made more poignant by the story, which went viral worldwide when Harambe was shot.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:21 am

davechinn wrote:
Marvelous photo, Dave. Perfect moment with Mshindi turned and the grays in his coat leaping out and his eyes suddenly drawn to something. Love the deep blacks, as you suspect. Very satisfying b&w, indeed. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:48 am

davechinn wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:58 pm
For week #19, I took the opportunity to visit the Cincinnati Zoo. My first visit in almost 4 of years and I was off to my favorite exhibit .... the Gorillas, only to walk away with some disappointment because only one Gorilla was on display and was not very cooperative. He would not come completely out into the open. No Gorilla photos today, but maybe next visit because I have to get my moneys worth out of the new seasons pass. I didn't walk away empty handed though. I was able to capture a few of the Rhino's. The first two images are of the same, an Indian Rhino, while the third image is of a different Rhino. A black Rhino nursing the almost year old calf, which if you will notice has two horns verses the one horn from the Indian Rhino.

Although, I do have some gorilla images from my 2014 visit and posted to https://www.flickr.com/photos/35722922@ ... 695051504/
Dave
The zoo is a wonderful place to master photography and is usually full of interesting Street!

I love the black rhinos the best, especially because they are critically endangered. Such beautiful animals! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by davechinn » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:34 am

minniev wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:20 am
davechinn wrote:
A powerful animal portrait made more poignant by the story, which went viral worldwide when Harambe was shot.

Yes it was a sad day, but from the info I have read there wasn't any other choice. A catch 22 situation. The gorilla exhibit is, of course my favorite. I love observing and capturing the various expressions they offer and could spend hours observing them. However, the annoying crowd tends to get on my nerves at times and forces me to move on.
Dave

David Alan Harvey

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by davechinn » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:45 am

Matt Quinn wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:21 am
davechinn wrote:
Marvelous photo, Dave. Perfect moment with Mshindi turned and the grays in his coat leaping out and his eyes suddenly drawn to something. Love the deep blacks, as you suspect. Very satisfying b&w, indeed. Matt

Thanks Matt, glad you enjoyed the view. I have other photos and should post sometime. I love the expressions they show, sort of sad, and has me wondering what goes on in their mind. They are very intelligent, while having emotions and personalities just as we do.
Dave

David Alan Harvey

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by davechinn » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:56 am

St3v3M wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:48 am
davechinn wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:58 pm
For week #19, I took the opportunity to visit the Cincinnati Zoo. My first visit in almost 4 of years and I was off to my favorite exhibit .... the Gorillas, only to walk away with some disappointment because only one Gorilla was on display and was not very cooperative. He would not come completely out into the open. No Gorilla photos today, but maybe next visit because I have to get my moneys worth out of the new seasons pass. I didn't walk away empty handed though. I was able to capture a few of the Rhino's. The first two images are of the same, an Indian Rhino, while the third image is of a different Rhino. A black Rhino nursing the almost year old calf, which if you will notice has two horns verses the one horn from the Indian Rhino.

Although, I do have some gorilla images from my 2014 visit and posted to https://www.flickr.com/photos/35722922@ ... 695051504/
Dave
The zoo is a wonderful place to master photography and is usually full of interesting Street!

I love the black rhinos the best, especially because they are critically endangered. Such beautiful animals! S-

I agree Steve, it is a wonderful place for photography. I do plan on attending the zoo and concentrate on capturing some street type images. Should be rather interesting and challenging because of all the little ones running about. I don't want to open up a can of worms for myself.

Glad you enjoyed the black rhino and I'm glad I was able to capture what I did, because the exhibit it now temporarily closed for some renovations.
Dave

David Alan Harvey

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by davechinn » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:32 pm

Never been much of a bird and flower kind of guy, but this one caught me by surprise. While out doing some yard work, just happen to spot a robins nest with a few little ones. I couldn't resist the opportunity to capture the little ones without momma getting upset and fly off, which why the diffused clutter in the foreground. So week #22 was a rather weak one for me.
Attachments
Momma & Baby Robin DEC_4708w.jpg
'Momma & Baby Robin'

David Alan Harvey

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:39 pm

davechinn wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:32 pm
Never been much of a bird and flower kind of guy, but this one caught me by surprise. While out doing some yard work, just happen to spot a robins nest with a few little ones. I couldn't resist the opportunity to capture the little ones without momma getting upset and fly off, which why the diffused clutter in the foreground. So week #22 was a rather weak one for me.
He's very sharp and very cute with that expression. You can crop or play Dave! And shoot more birds!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones