"Don't sit down and wait for the opportunities to come. Get up and make them." —Madam C.J. Walker

Project 52Dave's Project 52

Forum rules
Some posts may not be "safe for work". If you intend to post any nude, topless or implied nude images please include the phrase NSFW in your title.
davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Dave's Project 52

Post by davechinn » Mon May 28, 2018 12:05 pm

minniev wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 3:38 pm
davechinn wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 3:06 pm
I thought I would get ahead of myself for week #18 and post at the beginning of the week rather than the end.

Sunday I addended a benefit for a local DJ that recently past. I felt I needed to get out while there may be a photo opportunity of my interests. I know some or most may not care or like the results of a fisheye lens. There are only certain times or I should say certain composed images that have much of an impact, so I don't use it often, but it's there when I need or want to use it. I felt this image fell in the range of effectiveness. Yes, no? It's all an opinion and understandable. What is your opinion?
Dave
Fisheye street! Very cool Dave. And yes, the fisheye adds drama and interest. Careful focus and deliberate placement of the most severe area of the effect keeps it from looking crazy the way most fisheye shots of people do.

I may never master this lens, but I will have some fun trying. Fisheye street may be a new genre for me? I do realize the fisheye is not for every image, but I will continue to look for possibilities.
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by davechinn » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:58 pm

For week #19, I took the opportunity to visit the Cincinnati Zoo. My first visit in almost 4 of years and I was off to my favorite exhibit .... the Gorillas, only to walk away with some disappointment because only one Gorilla was on display and was not very cooperative. He would not come completely out into the open. No Gorilla photos today, but maybe next visit because I have to get my moneys worth out of the new seasons pass. I didn't walk away empty handed though. I was able to capture a few of the Rhino's. The first two images are of the same, an Indian Rhino, while the third image is of a different Rhino. A black Rhino nursing the almost year old calf, which if you will notice has two horns verses the one horn from the Indian Rhino.

Although, I do have some gorilla images from my 2014 visit and posted to https://www.flickr.com/photos/35722922@ ... 695051504/
Dave
Attachments
Rhino DEC_4468w B&W.jpg
Rhino #1
Rhino DEC_4479w B&W.jpg
Rhino #2
Rhino DEC_4489w B&W.jpg
Rhino #3

David Alan Harvey

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by minniev » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:59 pm

davechinn wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:58 pm
For week #19, I took the opportunity to visit the Cincinnati Zoo. My first visit in almost 4 of years and I was off to my favorite exhibit .... the Gorillas, only to walk away with some disappointment because only one Gorilla was on display and was not very cooperative. He would not come completely out into the open. No Gorilla photos today, but maybe next visit because I have to get my moneys worth out of the new seasons pass. I didn't walk away empty handed though. I was able to capture a few of the Rhino's. The first two images are of the same, an Indian Rhino, while the third image is of a different Rhino. A black Rhino nursing the almost year old calf, which if you will notice has two horns verses the one horn from the Indian Rhino.

Although, I do have some gorilla images from my 2014 visit and posted to https://www.flickr.com/photos/35722922@ ... 695051504/
Dave
These are really nice. It's very cool to turn zoo animals into artistic creations, as you did here. The second is my favorite. Terrific detail and tonalities.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by davechinn » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:39 am

minniev wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:59 pm
davechinn wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:58 pm

Dave
These are really nice. It's very cool to turn zoo animals into artistic creations, as you did here. The second is my favorite. Terrific detail and tonalities.

Thanks Minnie, so much fun attending the zoo. One day soon, I will visit and focus on street photography rather than the animals. Maybe capturing the reactions/expressions of kids and/or parents viewing their favorite animal etc.
Dave

David Alan Harvey

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:41 pm

davechinn wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:39 am

Thanks Minnie, so much fun attending the zoo. One day soon, I will visit and focus on street photography rather than the animals. Maybe capturing the reactions/expressions of kids and/or parents viewing their favorite animal etc.
Dave
One of the most powerful animal portraits I've seen was shot by a photo friend in a zoo in Belgium, of elephants in their exhibit space with one outside and one inside the barred gate of their enclosure, touching trunks. It was named "Visitation Day".
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Matt Quinn » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:40 pm

A black Rhino nursing the almost year old calf, which if you will notice has two horns verses the one horn from the Indian Rhino.

Really like this one, Dave, for its mood and mystery. Wonderful texture, tones -- especially like the "flatness" and calm of the image since it seems to suit the scene. Well caught. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:11 pm

Dave, your Rhino number three has me wondering why I am trying to play with color when I should be learning black and white.

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by davechinn » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:45 pm

minniev wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:41 pm
davechinn wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:39 am

Dave
One of the most powerful animal portraits I've seen was shot by a photo friend in a zoo in Belgium, of elephants in their exhibit space with one outside and one inside the barred gate of their enclosure, touching trunks. It was named "Visitation Day".

I would love to see the photo of the elephants. I can imagine it to have a huge impact and I appreciate you mentioning it for the fact at most times I am dumb founded only to let my visions slip between the ears and as a result walk away empty handed.
Dave

David Alan Harvey

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by davechinn » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:47 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:40 pm
A black Rhino nursing the almost year old calf, which if you will notice has two horns verses the one horn from the Indian Rhino.

Really like this one, Dave, for its mood and mystery. Wonderful texture, tones -- especially like the "flatness" and calm of the image since it seems to suit the scene. Well caught. Matt

Thanks Matt, glad you enjoyed the view.
Dave

David Alan Harvey

Psjunkie
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:53 pm

Love them all but #3 is very well presented Mr. Chinn......