Page 2 of 12

Re: Dave's Project 52

Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:10 pm
by St3v3M
davechinn wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:15 pm
... Then I thought, no, airport security may catch wind of me after several visits with complains, so I decided against the idea. However, this may be the last of the airport for awhile.
...
I've been nabbed by airport security a couple of times, always expecting the worst, but they always want to know more about what I'm shooting and are on their way! The first was years ago when I brought a small table-top tripod through carry-on. They pulled the bag aside and four or five of them looked through it. They finally asked and they all laughed thinking about what they thought it was. I've been in airports a few times too where security walks up to me to ask what I'm doing, I tell the truth and we talk about cameras. I've even photographed cockpits with the captain's approval. It's a lot less sketchy than people think. S-

Re: Dave's Project 52

Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:12 pm
by St3v3M
davechinn wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:15 pm
...
This is actually my first time to browse around inside the airport with camera in hand. At first, I felt a little uncomfortable, only because of security and how things are with today's issues. I'm sure I was being observed from a private room somewhere. Trying to be as discrete as possible, but I'm sure that was impossible. How often does an ole' man with a scraggly long grey beard, camera, long lens and backpack enter the airport lobby to browse as though he's on the streets? Discrete? Yea, right !!!
These are all well done, and I especially like the perspective. I feel like I'm there and hope you continue with this! S-

Re: Dave's Project 52

Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:43 pm
by minniev
davechinn wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:15 pm
Making every attempt to keep out of the Rut. I have week #2 of project 52 for all interested to view and critique. Since my first image was airport related, I felt the need to take the project inside this week. I have several images and thought I would make the project airport related throughout the whole year. Then I thought, no, airport security may catch wind of me after several visits with complains, so I decided against the idea. However, this may be the last of the airport for awhile.

This is actually my first time to browse around inside the airport with camera in hand. At first, I felt a little uncomfortable, only because of security and how things are with today's issues. I'm sure I was being observed from a private room somewhere. Trying to be as discrete as possible, but I'm sure that was impossible. How often does an ole' man with a scraggly long grey beard, camera, long lens and backpack enter the airport lobby to browse as though he's on the streets? Discrete? Yea, right !!!
Nice set, like the last one best, that's classic street. Yeah we don't wanta read about you in the news so be careful!

Re: Dave's Project 52

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:00 am
by LindaShorey
These are very cool, Dave. I especially like the surprised look of the escalator man x2 with his reflection :) Also, #1 for the sharply angled line that I guess is an escalator or stairs, but appears to just drop off into nothing. Maybe it's that little airplane's runway?!

Re: Dave's Project 52

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:16 pm
by Charles Haacker
I think the interiors are all outstanding (I confess to not having cared much for the exterior). I will also root for you as I don't think I could do this. Maybe a monthly but not a weekly. eekly. But being shy and terrified of handcuffs I wondered about doing this in airports, but then I saw this and thought about it:
Dave wrote:[...] "Trying to be as discrete as possible, but I'm sure that was impossible. How often does an ole' man with a scraggly long grey beard, camera, long lens and backpack enter the airport lobby to browse as though he's on the streets? Discrete? Yea, right !!!"
I wonder if being that conspicuous is key? "Watchful Eye" is unmistakably interested perhaps precisely because you are pointing a lens the size of a bazooka at him. Would the terroristas do that? I think instead they operate solely with camera phones. Blend in. Hide in plain sight. On the other hand (oh lordy there he goes again) coming in looking like you're the advance man for Star Wars could also be a hiding-in-plain-sight ploy. "He can't be a terrorist! He's too obviously a terrorist!" :lol:

No wonder I hate to fly.

Re: Dave's Project 52

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:39 pm
by Matt Quinn
davechinn wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:15 pm
Making every attempt to keep out of the Rut. I have week #2 of project 52 for all interested to view and critique. Since my first image was airport related, I felt the need to take the project inside this week. I have several images and thought I would make the project airport related throughout the whole year. Then I thought, no, airport security may catch wind of me after several visits with complains, so I decided against the idea. However, this may be the last of the airport for awhile.

This is actually my first time to browse around inside the airport with camera in hand. At first, I felt a little uncomfortable, only because of security and how things are with today's issues. I'm sure I was being observed from a private room somewhere. Trying to be as discrete as possible, but I'm sure that was impossible. How often does an ole' man with a scraggly long grey beard, camera, long lens and backpack enter the airport lobby to browse as though he's on the streets? Discrete? Yea, right !!!
Dave, Great b&w shots; tonal range is spot on, focus/bokeh just right, decisive moments in 2,3 and 4 well caught. Especially like #4. Wonderful stuff.
I wonder what permission you could get if you went to security office to explain what you were doing. I have found that successful in some circumstances but have not tried such a sensitive area as an airport.
Matt

Re: Dave's Project 52

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:03 pm
by davechinn
St3v3M wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:10 pm
davechinn wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:15 pm
... Then I thought, no, airport security may catch wind of me after several visits with complains, so I decided against the idea. However, this may be the last of the airport for awhile.
...
I've been nabbed by airport security a couple of times, always expecting the worst, but they always want to know more about what I'm shooting and are on their way! The first was years ago when I brought a small table-top tripod through carry-on. They pulled the bag aside and four or five of them looked through it. They finally asked and they all laughed thinking about what they thought it was. I've been in airports a few times too where security walks up to me to ask what I'm doing, I tell the truth and we talk about cameras. I've even photographed cockpits with the captain's approval. It's a lot less sketchy than people think. S-

Anymore airport security can be a little on the scary side. Knowing you are innocent but the unknown fact remains, what will they find? Once, in San Diego returning home, there was a button( unknown to me) sewn to the inside of my pants by one of the pockets. TSA found it with one of their scanners, but prior to finding out that it was a button was terrifying to me, with all the questions I was receiving. A strip search and a missed flight was going through my mind.

Your experience sounds to be more enjoyable with a little excitement, especially photographing cockpits.
Dave

Re: Dave's Project 52

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:07 pm
by davechinn
St3v3M wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:12 pm
davechinn wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:15 pm
...
This is actually my first time to browse around inside the airport with camera in hand. At first, I felt a little uncomfortable, only because of security and how things are with today's issues. I'm sure I was being observed from a private room somewhere. Trying to be as discrete as possible, but I'm sure that was impossible. How often does an ole' man with a scraggly long grey beard, camera, long lens and backpack enter the airport lobby to browse as though he's on the streets? Discrete? Yea, right !!!
These are all well done, and I especially like the perspective. I feel like I'm there and hope you continue with this! S-

Thanks Steve !!! My plans are to continue, but wish for better/warmer weather.
Dave

Re: Dave's Project 52

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:27 pm
by St3v3M
davechinn wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:03 pm
Anymore airport security can be a little on the scary side. Knowing you are innocent but the unknown fact remains, what will they find? Once, in San Diego returning home, there was a button( unknown to me) sewn to the inside of my pants by one of the pockets. TSA found it with one of their scanners, but prior to finding out that it was a button was terrifying to me, with all the questions I was receiving. A strip search and a missed flight was going through my mind.

Your experience sounds to be more enjoyable with a little excitement, especially photographing cockpits.
Dave
Except for going through customs in Nigeria my scariest TSA moment was when they found 'something' in my luggage.

I was running late as usual but made it through the line only to be the lucky random search winner. I'm late but I know they are just doing their jobs and it's best to help them so they help me so I sit while they check my luggage. Everything seems okay until I notice the man on his radio and then there are three big guys standing in front of me. 'What's wrong?' Sir have you been anywhere we should know about? No. Sir has anyone else had control of your luggage? No. More radio. 'What's wrong?' Sir your bag tested for a BOMB.

Forget the strip search, I'm going to jail... They take pity on me and try the test again, BOMB so they call the supervisor over to discuss my options. They all have a quick conversation while I sit there looking confused, then the supervisor says to try the other machine. Um, sorry sir, the machine is bad. Have a nice day. 'Have a nice day...'

You never know what's going to happen at the airport! S-

Re: Dave's Project 52

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:27 pm
by St3v3M
davechinn wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:07 pm
Thanks Steve !!! My plans are to continue, but wish for better/warmer weather.
Dave
Excellent! S-