"Sometimes imagination is no more than randomness applied." —Piet Francke

Project 52Dave's Project 52

Forum rules
Some posts may not be "safe for work". If you intend to post any nude, topless or implied nude images please include the phrase NSFW in your title.
User avatar
davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1669
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:01 pm
Location: Ky
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Re: Dave's Project 52

Post by davechinn » Tue May 22, 2018 2:44 pm

minniev wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 3:55 pm
davechinn wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 6:58 pm
I feel I might be playing a little catch up with this 52 project. Week #17 brings my finished updated deck. Lots of hard work and hours. If it ever needs to be done again, it will be contractors performing the job. We used the composite decking boards which is suppose to be maintenance free. We broke it in last night with a cook out between rain and firing up the new gas fire pit for the first time.
Dave
Now you can enjoy! Job well done! I’m doing the same with my new/old house, which is habitable, and I’m here now. My photography has been kinda stunted while all this has been going on, but for the first time, I reserved a set of hours here to just take and work on photos of my ordinary stuff that I have here - the work we’ve done, and the oddities we’ve discovered, in addition to the exploration of our rather uncivilized surroundings.


Absolutely Minnie !!! This job was debatable for completion. Last year, this year or next year. As you can see, this year won out. We wanted to complete this early in the season prior to hotter temperature. More updates are in the works, but most are contractor bound because I don't have or want the skills to replace pre-hung doors.

I agree updates gets in the way of photography and other tasks/hobbies we so desire. Although, what I have seen and heard your projects are much more intense and mores involved with the house you all are working on. In the end though, restoration on an older home is well worth the effort.
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

User avatar
davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1669
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:01 pm
Location: Ky
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by davechinn » Tue May 22, 2018 2:48 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 12:47 am
lucky you're handy. Looks very inviting. Have a rollicking summer. Matt

Thanks Matt, I do have limitations, but I appreciate the compliment.
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

User avatar
davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1669
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:01 pm
Location: Ky
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by davechinn » Tue May 22, 2018 3:06 pm

I thought I would get ahead of myself for week #18 and post at the beginning of the week rather than the end.

Sunday I addended a benefit for a local DJ that recently past. I felt I needed to get out while there may be a photo opportunity of my interests. I know some or most may not care or like the results of a fisheye lens. There are only certain times or I should say certain composed images that have much of an impact, so I don't use it often, but it's there when I need or want to use it. I felt this image fell in the range of effectiveness. Yes, no? It's all an opinion and understandable. What is your opinion?
Dave
Attachments
Round Table DEC_4444w B&W #2.jpg
'Round Table'
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

User avatar
Psjunkie
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Posts: 2023
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:20 am
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by Psjunkie » Tue May 22, 2018 3:15 pm

opinion is correct.....I think you have made good use of the lens here Mr. Chinn and agree with your statement about certain images...I just don't feel much impact from it's use here but do like the image...

User avatar
Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Posts: 2768
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:12 pm
Location: MD in winter: Cape Cod in summer
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by Matt Quinn » Tue May 22, 2018 3:35 pm

davechinn wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 3:06 pm
I thought I would get ahead of myself for week #18 and post at the beginning of the week rather than the end.

Sunday I addended a benefit for a local DJ that recently past. I felt I needed to get out while there may be a photo opportunity of my interests. I know some or most may not care or like the results of a fisheye lens. There are only certain times or I should say certain composed images that have much of an impact, so I don't use it often, but it's there when I need or want to use it. I felt this image fell in the range of effectiveness. Yes, no? It's all an opinion and understandable. What is your opinion?
Dave
Works for me, Dave. Looks like it was droopy hot. Great range of tones. Like he merry-go-round effect of the lens here. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

User avatar
davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1669
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:01 pm
Location: Ky
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by davechinn » Fri May 25, 2018 12:57 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 3:15 pm
opinion is correct.....I think you have made good use of the lens here Mr. Chinn and agree with your statement about certain images...I just don't feel much impact from it's use here but do like the image...


Thanks Frank, this particular lens can be tricky and is only intended for certain shots. One need to pick and choose wisely or the image composed will be a total waste. Fisheye's are not for everyone and it wouldn't surprise me that some just totally hate/despise the results. Not sure why you don't feel/see the impact of this particular image. The roundness of the bar could not be very effective with say a normal wide angle lens, I don't think. Either way, thanks for commenting with your thoughts.
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

User avatar
davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1669
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:01 pm
Location: Ky
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by davechinn » Fri May 25, 2018 1:00 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 3:35 pm
davechinn wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 3:06 pm
I thought I would get ahead of myself for week #18 and post at the beginning of the week rather than the end.

Sunday I addended a benefit for a local DJ that recently past. I felt I needed to get out while there may be a photo opportunity of my interests. I know some or most may not care or like the results of a fisheye lens. There are only certain times or I should say certain composed images that have much of an impact, so I don't use it often, but it's there when I need or want to use it. I felt this image fell in the range of effectiveness. Yes, no? It's all an opinion and understandable. What is your opinion?
Dave
Works for me, Dave. Looks like it was droopy hot. Great range of tones. Like he merry-go-round effect of the lens here. Matt


Thanks Matt !!! Yes, it was hot and silly me had jeans on. Appreciate your thoughts.
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

User avatar
Psjunkie
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Posts: 2023
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:20 am
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by Psjunkie » Sat May 26, 2018 3:00 am

I think it's just the center of the image holds nothing of interest for me Mr. Chinn... love the foreground gals and outer edges..the other folks and bartender making drinks, but the center of the image is just lost for me and somehow removes any impact I might feel........

User avatar
davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1669
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:01 pm
Location: Ky
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by davechinn » Sat May 26, 2018 10:34 am

Psjunkie wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 3:00 am
I think it's just the center of the image holds nothing of interest for me Mr. Chinn... love the foreground gals and outer edges..the other folks and bartender making drinks, but the center of the image is just lost for me and somehow removes any impact I might feel........


Oh okay, now I understand. It's not the effectiveness of the lens, just the subject matter and that makes sense. Experimentation with this lens hopefully will improve. Thanks for your clarification.
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Posts: 4232
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Sun May 27, 2018 3:38 pm

davechinn wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 3:06 pm
I thought I would get ahead of myself for week #18 and post at the beginning of the week rather than the end.

Sunday I addended a benefit for a local DJ that recently past. I felt I needed to get out while there may be a photo opportunity of my interests. I know some or most may not care or like the results of a fisheye lens. There are only certain times or I should say certain composed images that have much of an impact, so I don't use it often, but it's there when I need or want to use it. I felt this image fell in the range of effectiveness. Yes, no? It's all an opinion and understandable. What is your opinion?
Dave
Fisheye street! Very cool Dave. And yes, the fisheye adds drama and interest. Careful focus and deliberate placement of the most severe area of the effect keeps it from looking crazy the way most fisheye shots of people do.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest