"You Are The Difference!"

Project 52Minnie's 52

Forum rules
Some posts may not be "safe for work". If you intend to post any nude, topless or implied nude images please include the phrase NSFW in your title.
St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Minnie's 52

Post by St3v3M » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:29 pm

minniev wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:02 pm
wheel says “metal”

Several different examples in this morning shot. I’m intrigued with the fencing on the gardens it’s dew and webs and shapes in early morning.

Still challenged by my mobile workflow and I hope the rumor is true that Adobe is inventing a version of PP with layers that’ll work in tablets. I have some good alternative tools but they work so differently, it’s taking time to learn them,
I know exactly where you were and I love it! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:49 am

Minnie, I was introduced to grits by a southern gentleman about 20 years ago and still remember him chuckling as I stared at the dry surface until he alerted me to the lake of butter below. I spooned down; by damn that was good. My arteries are still clogged.

Love the range of tones in Metal. Wish I could get those. How did you do it?

Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:17 am

Matt Quinn wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:49 am
Minnie, I was introduced to grits by a southern gentleman about 20 years ago and still remember him chuckling as I stared at the dry surface until he alerted me to the lake of butter below. I spooned down; by damn that was good. My arteries are still clogged.

Love the range of tones in Metal. Wish I could get those. How did you do it?

Matt
Good grits are hard to find, but the cheap ones like this brand and the expensive ones that you get from old times mills that do their own are better than the mid-range ones.

The metal shot is one of the new Profiles in Lightroom, with a few extra tweaks. If you haven’t explored those profiles yet, you oughta. They are different than presets.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:37 am

Minnie, I used BW 01 for this one, but I don't get the range or snap you do. Matt
Attachments
photoMentoris (1 of 1)-24.jpg
photoMentoris (1 of 1)-24.jpg (275.85 KiB) Viewed 98 times
Matt Quinn

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:49 am

Matt Quinn wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:37 am
Minnie, I used BW 01 for this one, but I don't get the range or snap you do. Matt
The one I used for this one was towards the bottom, then I tinkered: more clarity, more contrast, blacker blacks, whiter whites. Pushed it as far as it would go till it started creating too much noise.

I do like this one though, it’s beautiful and might not be as pretty with the harsher treatments.

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:19 pm

Thanks Minnie. Do you always avoid triangles in the histogram? I have tried to use the histogram as the guide and get the magic mountain without anything crawling the left or right wall but the result is not always pleasing. I sometimes go slightly into the black triangle if that area in the photo is not important or there is not detail there. I always try to avoid the white triangle.

I like this daisy in the grass photo but it lacks a certain something to bring it home and I don't know what it is. I will play a bit more with it today. Thanks again. Matt
Matt Quinn

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:00 am

Minnie, Went back and fiddled; surprisingly, this pleases me more even though it leans toward the light. But, as I mentioned to Frank, it's still not what I see in my mind, but I am having difficulty reading my mind. Matt
Attachments
photoMentoris (1 of 1)-28.jpg
photoMentoris (1 of 1)-28.jpg (399.42 KiB) Viewed 86 times
Matt Quinn

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:11 am

Matt Quinn wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:00 am
Minnie, Went back and fiddled; surprisingly, this pleases me more even though it leans toward the light. But, as I mentioned to Frank, it's still not what I see in my mind, but I am having difficulty reading my mind. Matt
Want to play a game? Don't think, just answer with the first thing that comes into your mind. What do you want to say(the story)? S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:53 pm

Minnie, Had to think because the first thing that came to mind was not words but the emotional reaction I had when I first walked out of the garage and saw the scene. Took me a while to formulate that feeling: buffering, protecting, shielding. The big strong straight grass is standing tall behind the tiny cluster of petite daisies, some of which have even snuggled among the stalks. What does that mean for the treatment of the photo? How do I emphasize those qualities? Stronger tones on the grass, lighter on the flowers? Vice/versa? Neither the grass nor the flowers dominate in my mind; it's the relationship that caught my eye. So, now what? How do I convey that, my guru? Thanks for prompting this. Matt
Matt Quinn

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:33 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:53 pm
Minnie, Had to think because the first thing that came to mind was not words but the emotional reaction I had when I first walked out of the garage and saw the scene. Took me a while to formulate that feeling: buffering, protecting, shielding. The big strong straight grass is standing tall behind the tiny cluster of petite daisies, some of which have even snuggled among the stalks. What does that mean for the treatment of the photo? How do I emphasize those qualities? Stronger tones on the grass, lighter on the flowers? Vice/versa? Neither the grass nor the flowers dominate in my mind; it's the relationship that caught my eye. So, now what? How do I convey that, my guru? Thanks for prompting this. Matt
That was Steve that set you on the path with hard questions, but I support his questioning. He helped me tremendously by asking me similar questions when I was starting to get serious about processing. I was working on my swamp portfolio at the time and while I was having fun playing with different looks, I wasn’t thinking enough about the story I wanted to tell or how the scene felt to me. It may sound a little weird, but those factors are part of what separates clinically perfect images of some subject from art. I think you’re on the right path with your thoughts. But when you get into this level, that’s when you really need layers because that gives you the precision control to edit different parts differently in the same image. How are you coming along with mastering layers?