"Photograph things you care about, not what you think others want to see. There is no substitution for passion." —Sarah Rice

Project 52Minnie's 52

Forum rules
Some posts may not be "safe for work". If you intend to post any nude, topless or implied nude images please include the phrase NSFW in your title.
St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Minnie's 52

Post by St3v3M » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:32 pm

minniev wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:23 pm
This week the subject on the spinner was Refracted Light. I don't even know what that is! So I read Steve's links and I still wasn't sure so I googled it next, and got more confused, but in some of what I read it mentioned shooting through glass balls. OK, I have a few glass paperweights so I washed em up and looked at them. No idea what to do next. So I got a flashlight and fooled with that a while.

This stuff ain't easy. I have no idea whether what I came up with has anything on earth to do with refracted light but I did have fun.

Here's one, I will add another later, I'm still fuddling around.

With this one I did like the starbursts that the flashlight provoked in the bubbles within the paperweight. So I decided to put it over a nightsky background.
It looks like Admin changed the link to https://digital-photography-school.com/ ... creativity
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:52 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:32 pm
minniev wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:23 pm
This week the subject on the spinner was Refracted Light. I don't even know what that is! So I read Steve's links and I still wasn't sure so I googled it next, and got more confused, but in some of what I read it mentioned shooting through glass balls. OK, I have a few glass paperweights so I washed em up and looked at them. No idea what to do next. So I got a flashlight and fooled with that a while.

This stuff ain't easy. I have no idea whether what I came up with has anything on earth to do with refracted light but I did have fun.

Here's one, I will add another later, I'm still fuddling around.

With this one I did like the starbursts that the flashlight provoked in the bubbles within the paperweight. So I decided to put it over a nightsky background.
It looks like Admin changed the link to https://digital-photography-school.com/ ... creativity
That's the one that told me about the glass balls! I don't think I used them right though. Even so, I had fun, and I have new toys to play with.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:54 pm

minniev wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:52 pm
... Even so, I had fun, and I have new toys to play with.
And that's all that matters! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:58 pm

minniev wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:05 pm
Project 52 - This week the subject is Nature.

Well, by golly, I found some Nature this morning! Last summer when I was researching my birds for my exhibit, I met with the president of the Audubon chapter, and he told me where my birds have their rookery. I hadn't tried to find it (no reason in winter), so went rambling through the woods and swamps where he'd told me it was, and sure enough, a mile in I found a wooden sign that said "ROOKERY" with an arrow. About a quarter mile into that swamp I began to hear all kinds of squawking and pretty soon I spotted specks of white, then swooping white birds. Bunches of egrets!

I will go back now that I know exactly where it is, and what I need (tripod, rubber boots, walking stick, mosquito stuff). But what fun to spend a morning with them living their lives in their own community! Some chicks have hatched, some birds are still sitting on nests waiting for that event, some are still building, and some birds are still trying to find a mate. If you haven't visited a rookery this year, find one!

Great capture and FIND Minnie !!! Sounds as though it was a struggle to find, but the dedication of your descriptive walk only shows that it paid off. I'm sure you WILL return.
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:52 pm

davechinn wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:58 pm

Great capture and FIND Minnie !!! Sounds as though it was a struggle to find, but the dedication of your descriptive walk only shows that it paid off. I'm sure you WILL return.
Dave
I hope so. I had cataract surgery yesterday and another in two weeks, so my wanderings are somewhat limited right now. That's why I was in a rush to get out there before I started all this. We'll see. Maybe I'll bounce back enough to try in a few days. My shooting eye is unfixed, so it still works as usual.

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:29 pm

This week's challenge "On The Road"

Since I can't drive and was a limited traveler the past week, I'm working with an equally limited set of opportunities about roads. However, I do have these two roads: the road to my house and the old wagon road that is cut deep into the earth to the side of the house, leading to where the barn, stables, sawmill, etc used to be. You've seen these roads before but I tried some adventurous processing with layers of painting, tint and texture worked in.
Attachments
farm cabin (1 of 1).jpg

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Matt Quinn » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:36 pm

Ah, Minnie, magical, alluring, inviting. No one could resist a walk on this path. It does feel a touch too hot for me, though, for some reason. The light green tones suggest early spring to me here up north, while the amount of light suggests summer, a strange kind of back and forth that doesn't allow me to settle and stroll. The shadows on the front of the house beckon but the intensity of the sun doesn't. Weird, huh? Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:01 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:36 pm
Ah, Minnie, magical, alluring, inviting. No one could resist a walk on this path. It does feel a touch too hot for me, though, for some reason. The light green tones suggest early spring to me here up north, while the amount of light suggests summer, a strange kind of back and forth that doesn't allow me to settle and stroll. The shadows on the front of the house beckon but the intensity of the sun doesn't. Weird, huh? Matt
I took a bit of license with the processing. We are still pretty early spring here so the greens are quite bright. I tinkered with both light and color some, and then there's that watercolor layer...

Here's the original in which the greens are even hotter. To me the Olympus cameras exaggerate greens so I always have to tinker, and then sometimes when I post them they look different on the site! And now, to complicate things further, they look different depending on whether I'm looking with the left eye, the right eye or both!!!
Attachments
oly st (1 of 1).jpg

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:39 pm

I like your green shots, and your rookery story is fantastic - Someday I will find one of them that I can get closer too.

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Matt Quinn » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:14 pm

minniev wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:01 pm
Matt Quinn wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:36 pm
I took a bit of license with the processing. We are still pretty early spring here so the greens are quite bright. I tinkered with both light and color some, and then there's that watercolor layer...

Here's the original in which the greens are even hotter. To me the Olympus cameras exaggerate greens so I always have to tinker, and then sometimes when I post them they look different on the site! And now, to complicate things further, they look different depending on whether I'm looking with the left eye, the right eye or both!!!
Weird stuff, Minnie. I prefer this to the processed one. It might be that the sky is bluer here than in the other one so that cools the greens for me. Still, both are very inviting and welcoming. A treasured Eden for you. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin