"Don't sit down and wait for the opportunities to come. Get up and make them." —Madam C.J. Walker

Project 52Minnie's 52

Forum rules
Some posts may not be "safe for work". If you intend to post any nude, topless or implied nude images please include the phrase NSFW in your title.
St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Minnie's 52

Post by St3v3M » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:56 pm

minniev wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:45 pm
This week is Color.

The brightest spot I saw the day I had my camera out was this azalea bud so I went for it. We've had a gloomy week but at least spring is upon us so there's stuff happening out there!
Wow, what kind of flower is that? S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:45 am

minniev wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:44 pm
Vanishing Point is what the wheel gave me this week.

Having run out of time before finding one I liked, I returned to my Old Faithful vanishing point in the swamp, found a couple from out of state wandering about terrified of encountering an alligator, and devoted some time to processing experiments.
Minnie, I wonder how the people would have reacted if you had told them they had passed through the vanishing point. Surviving alligators and disappearing. Tales to tell. "There was this nice lady with a camera down there talking about us just missing disappearing. No warning sign on the bridge. We were watching for alligators. Maybe that's the key. Don't plan on going back. Dodged the gators and the spook point. Glad to be home. No slides, though." Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:54 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:56 pm
minniev wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:45 pm
This week is Color.

The brightest spot I saw the day I had my camera out was this azalea bud so I went for it. We've had a gloomy week but at least spring is upon us so there's stuff happening out there!
Wow, what kind of flower is that? S-
Plain old southern azalea. It was a good year for them.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:55 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:45 am
minniev wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:44 pm
Vanishing Point is what the wheel gave me this week.

Having run out of time before finding one I liked, I returned to my Old Faithful vanishing point in the swamp, found a couple from out of state wandering about terrified of encountering an alligator, and devoted some time to processing experiments.
Minnie, I wonder how the people would have reacted if you had told them they had passed through the vanishing point. Surviving alligators and disappearing. Tales to tell. "There was this nice lady with a camera down there talking about us just missing disappearing. No warning sign on the bridge. We were watching for alligators. Maybe that's the key. Don't plan on going back. Dodged the gators and the spook point. Glad to be home. No slides, though." Matt
I'll remember that line when I next find a slightly spooked visitor from someplace distant to alligators. Locals pay them no mind. unless they are carrying a small mop dog with them.

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:05 pm

Project 52 - This week the subject is Nature.

Well, by golly, I found some Nature this morning! Last summer when I was researching my birds for my exhibit, I met with the president of the Audubon chapter, and he told me where my birds have their rookery. I hadn't tried to find it (no reason in winter), so went rambling through the woods and swamps where he'd told me it was, and sure enough, a mile in I found a wooden sign that said "ROOKERY" with an arrow. About a quarter mile into that swamp I began to hear all kinds of squawking and pretty soon I spotted specks of white, then swooping white birds. Bunches of egrets!

I will go back now that I know exactly where it is, and what I need (tripod, rubber boots, walking stick, mosquito stuff). But what fun to spend a morning with them living their lives in their own community! Some chicks have hatched, some birds are still sitting on nests waiting for that event, some are still building, and some birds are still trying to find a mate. If you haven't visited a rookery this year, find one!
Attachments
bird (1 of 1)-2.jpg

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:28 pm

minniev wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:05 pm
Project 52 - This week the subject is Nature.

Well, by golly, I found some Nature this morning! Last summer when I was researching my birds for my exhibit, I met with the president of the Audubon chapter, and he told me where my birds have their rookery. I hadn't tried to find it (no reason in winter), so went rambling through the woods and swamps where he'd told me it was, and sure enough, a mile in I found a wooden sign that said "ROOKERY" with an arrow. About a quarter mile into that swamp I began to hear all kinds of squawking and pretty soon I spotted specks of white, then swooping white birds. Bunches of egrets!

I will go back now that I know exactly where it is, and what I need (tripod, rubber boots, walking stick, mosquito stuff). But what fun to spend a morning with them living their lives in their own community! Some chicks have hatched, some birds are still sitting on nests waiting for that event, some are still building, and some birds are still trying to find a mate. If you haven't visited a rookery this year, find one!
Baby Dam Birds! S-

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:31 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:28 pm

Baby Dam Birds! S-
Three little fuzzies in that nest!

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:37 pm

minniev wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:31 pm
I found these interesting! S-
Great Egret - Ardea alba
Great Egret Life History

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:27 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:37 pm
minniev wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:31 pm
I found these interesting! S-
Great Egret - Ardea alba
Great Egret Life History
Thank you! Scanning them quickly, it is even more clear to me that the dam birds are an anomaly. Diving for fish is not what these birds typically do.

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:23 pm

This week the subject on the spinner was Refracted Light. I don't even know what that is! So I read Steve's links and I still wasn't sure so I googled it next, and got more confused, but in some of what I read it mentioned shooting through glass balls. OK, I have a few glass paperweights so I washed em up and looked at them. No idea what to do next. So I got a flashlight and fooled with that a while.

This stuff ain't easy. I have no idea whether what I came up with has anything on earth to do with refracted light but I did have fun.

Here's one, I will add another later, I'm still fuddling around.

With this one I did like the starbursts that the flashlight provoked in the bubbles within the paperweight. So I decided to put it over a nightsky background.
Attachments
refracted (1 of 1).jpg