"You Are The Difference!"

Project 52Matt's Project 52: A Year in B&W

Forum rules
Some posts may not be "safe for work". If you intend to post any nude, topless or implied nude images please include the phrase NSFW in your title.
Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Matt's Project 52: A Year in B&W

Post by Matt Quinn » Mon May 28, 2018 8:10 pm

That might prompt some neighbors to move. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by PietFrancke » Mon May 28, 2018 9:00 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 6:20 pm
#52-73: The Elements

Slashing rain, wind, swirling fog, all lent some modest mystery and mild enchantment to the woods behind our house. Stayed inside. Shot through a spotted window. Matt
Frank said it! This is wonderfully barbaric.

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Mon May 28, 2018 10:04 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 9:00 pm
Matt Quinn wrote:

Slashing rain, wind, swirling fog, all lent some modest mystery and mild enchantment to the woods behind our house. Stayed inside. Shot through a spotted window. Matt
Frank said it! This is wonderfully barbaric.
Thanks. ...cribbed cabined and confined... Have to go with the flow. Matt
Matt Quinn

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Tue May 29, 2018 11:03 am

Matt Quinn wrote:

I like this a lot. It has a delicate kind of turmoil that can only happen in spring/early summer is slightly wild weather. It would make a nice metal print. You ARE printing some of yours aren’t you? Do you print your own or send off? Another project for inside the cabin. Though not as confined as seriously as you, this has been my Cabin Year too.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Tue May 29, 2018 7:18 pm

Thanks Minnie. Printing? No, not myself. Tried that for a while and it got too complicated with a winter printer here in MD and a summer printer in MA, with ink drying out in each while at the other. So, I stopped. I have had a few printed professionally but, when I get them home and compare them to prints I have bought from professionals, I shudder, and go back to the computer to see how I might improve the photo. As I delve into PS and deeper into SEP now, I see how to improve them and do fiddle a bit to make them better. Then I come up against the "better" being the enemy of the "good." So I get up and walk away to let things marinate. Or curdle. I am working now on a waterscape from last summer that I like and have it about 3/4 of the way there. But where is there? If I get "there," I will post it.

Do you really think this one is print-worthy as it is now?

Maty
Matt Quinn

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue May 29, 2018 7:35 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 7:18 pm

Maty
I think getting it as close as I can on screen is important, but there's something about seeing it in your hands that makes all the difference, and while I don't print-to-hang I see printing as a valuable resource to see the image in its 'final' form if only to give it a final look and make adjustments as needed. I'm the same way with books though where I can read them online but love to hold them.

My thought is to print 'tests' at home if you have a nice printer otherwise at a Walmart, CVS, Sam's Club, Costco, etc. Their cheap and the quality is typically close enough to a professional for proofs for an evaluation. I'm curious what others think too of course! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Tue May 29, 2018 7:58 pm

"My thought is to print 'tests' at home if you have a nice printer otherwise at a Walmart, CVS, Sam's Club, Costco, etc."

Thanks, Steve. I will do that.

I order prints and photo books mostly for "posterity." Not likely that our children or grandchildren will want my Lightroom files but I know they will browse the books; they do now. And they have framed and hung some of the prints I have made. In the meantime, I get joy and satisfaction myself -- and sometimes amazement -- from looking at the prints and thumbing the books. CVS will now be a step for the prints. Thanks again.

Matt
Matt Quinn

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue May 29, 2018 8:07 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 7:58 pm
"My thought is to print 'tests' at home if you have a nice printer otherwise at a Walmart, CVS, Sam's Club, Costco, etc."

Thanks, Steve. I will do that.

I order prints and photo books mostly for "posterity." Not likely that our children or grandchildren will want my Lightroom files but I know they will browse the books; they do now. And they have framed and hung some of the prints I have made. In the meantime, I get joy and satisfaction myself -- and sometimes amazement -- from looking at the prints and thumbing the books. CVS will now be a step for the prints. Thanks again.

Matt
I realized I answered that without really answering your question but am happy it helped! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Tue May 29, 2018 8:28 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 7:18 pm
Thanks Minnie. Printing? No, not myself. Tried that for a while and it got too complicated with a winter printer here in MD and a summer printer in MA, with ink drying out in each while at the other. So, I stopped. I have had a few printed professionally but, when I get them home and compare them to prints I have bought from professionals, I shudder, and go back to the computer to see how I might improve the photo. As I delve into PS and deeper into SEP now, I see how to improve them and do fiddle a bit to make them better. Then I come up against the "better" being the enemy of the "good." So I get up and walk away to let things marinate. Or curdle. I am working now on a waterscape from last summer that I like and have it about 3/4 of the way there. But where is there? If I get "there," I will post it.

Maty
Explore metal or glass on this one. You are close to print, as best i can tell from a web image.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed May 30, 2018 2:37 am

Minnie, I am going to take Steve's suggestion and have a test print done at Walmart before sending it on to a professional house. I use Silver Imaging in Boston. Do you have any you use? Matt
Matt Quinn