"Sometimes imagination is no more than randomness applied." —Piet Francke

Project 52Matt's Project 52: A Year in B&W

Forum rules
Some posts may not be "safe for work". If you intend to post any nude, topless or implied nude images please include the phrase NSFW in your title.
Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Matt's Project 52: A Year in B&W

Post by Matt Quinn » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:49 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:42 pm
This reminds me of the evil tree in The Wizard Of Oz! S-
Call me Dr. Rorschach.
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by St3v3M » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:50 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:49 pm
Call me Dr. Rorschach.
laf
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:28 am

Matt Quinn wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:40 pm
Psjunkie wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:44 am
52-21....you did ask but be careful what you ask for Matt...The composition is pleasing and the subject holds interest, at least for me. The image seems better suited for a lighter background to bring out the tree...I feel more detail should be brought out in the tree bark itself as there are some larger limbs that I find appealing. Not sure if you've applied that vignette but for me it is taking away from your main attraction...
Matt's Project 52: A Year in BW

#52-22: The Shout

With apologies to Edvard Munch

Matt
This last one looks like a very pleasant horse. I like the horse made of weathered wood like an ancient statue better than the scream.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:29 pm

minniev wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:28 am
Matt Quinn wrote:
Psjunkie wrote:
52-21....you did ask but be careful what you ask for Matt...The composition is pleasing and the subject holds interest, at least for me. The image seems better suited for a lighter background to bring out the tree...I feel more detail should be brought out in the tree bark itself as there are some larger limbs that I find appealing. Not sure if you've applied that vignette but for me it is taking away from your main attraction...

Matt
This last one looks like a very pleasant horse. I like the horse made of weathered wood like an ancient statue better than the scream.
Yes, Minnie, I see that as well. I had done some pp in SEP2 to creep up the image more closely to Scream, but was not satisfied so I didn't post. I may go back and keep trying.

Loved your pen and ink of the trees and bridge. Reminded me immediately of a very muted photo I took yesterday and am trying to morph into a pen and ink. I once wanted to learn p&i but life/work etc got in the way. I also wanted to learn the piano, actually bought a second-hand one after I had retired but couldn't find a regular teacher with our moves between MD and MA, and, and, and...excuses I hear you say. I agree. Let's see where all this goes. Matt
Matt Quinn

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:24 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:29 pm
and MA, and, and, and...excuses I hear you say. I agree. Let's see where all this goes. Matt
Matt, never would I chastise you with "excuses, excuses.." I admire your zeal for learning and your willingness to tackle new endeavors. Being of kindred spirit, I cannot seem to quit trying to do everything before the sand sneaks through the hourglass.

As you said, let's just see where it goes!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:50 pm

minniev wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:24 pm
Matt Quinn wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:29 pm
and MA, and, and, and...excuses I hear you say. I agree. Let's see where all this goes. Matt
Matt, never would I chastise you with "excuses, excuses.." I admire your zeal for learning and your willingness to tackle new endeavors. Being of kindred spirit, I cannot seem to quit trying to do everything before the sand sneaks through the hourglass.

As you said, let's just see where it goes!
I can see how it seemed a chastisement; I intended it as your encouragement. Thus the limits of words without faces and intonations. Many thanks. Matt
Matt Quinn

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:52 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Psjunkie wrote:

Matt
The Scream (1 of 1).jpg

#52-23: Roof lines

This church is across the street from the cemetery where I took the photo that I posted last week. I wanted to try to get rid of the power line but, after seeing Linda's photo of Poles and Lines, decided it belonged.

Matt
Attachments
Church across street (1 of 1).jpg
Matt Quinn

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:14 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:52 pm

#52-23: Roof lines

This church is across the street from the cemetery where I took the photo that I posted last week. I wanted to try to get rid of the power line but, after seeing Linda's photo of Poles and Lines, decided it belonged.

Matt
I love all the converging lines! Well done! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

pah43
Mentoris Alumnus
Mentoris Alumnus

Post by pah43 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:35 pm

Hi Matt, I do like both your images so far and will be following your 52 with interest. I did a 52 a while back and really enjoyed it but did find some pressure some weeks and at times thought I would not make it but I did so good luck with yours. Will you be shooting Black and white in camera or will you convert later, the reason I ask is I did B/W for many yrs and still tend to see all my work in black and white in the viewfinder even though I shoot mainly color now. I still like working in black and white and I often produce them, looking forward to seeing what is to come - enjoy!

Paul
Cheers,
Paul.

“Wherever there is light, one can photograph." :photo:

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:40 pm

pah43 wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:35 pm
Hi Matt, I do like both your images so far and will be following your 52 with interest. I did a 52 a while back and really enjoyed it but did find some pressure some weeks and at times thought I would not make it but I did so good luck with yours. Will you be shooting Black and white in camera or will you convert later, the reason I ask is I did B/W for many yrs and still tend to see all my work in black and white in the viewfinder even though I shoot mainly color now. I still like working in black and white and I often produce them, looking forward to seeing what is to come - enjoy!

Paul
Thank you, Paul. I appreciate your response and look forward to reading your comments as I move along. I use a Leica M Monochrom 246 (bought 3rd hand on eBay) which records only luminance so there is no need to convert. My goal this year is to strengthen my bw photos, especially by improving my use of gradients, and to learn the basics of PS. The other pM-ers have been very encouraging and helpful, patient and directive, inspiring and awesome. I have found a home here. Matt
Matt Quinn