• Administrator
“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” —Vince Lombardi

Project 52Matt's Project 52: A Year in B&W

Forum rules
Some posts may not be "safe for work". If you intend to post any nude, topless or implied nude images please include the phrase NSFW in your title.
Matt Quinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Matt's Project 52: A Year in B&W

Post by Matt Quinn » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:14 pm

Psjunkie wrote:52-21....you did ask but be careful what you ask for Matt...The composition is pleasing and the subject holds interest, at least for me. The image seems better suited for a lighter background to bring out the tree...I feel more detail should be brought out in the tree bark itself as there are some larger limbs that I find appealing. Not sure if you've applied that vignette but for me it is taking away from your main attraction...
Another attempt as a result of Psjunkie's reaction. Credit to Frank, shortcomes from me. Matt
Big tree  (1 of 1).jpg
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

Psjunkie
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by Psjunkie » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:28 pm

Much improved in my opinion Matt...

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:46 pm

Crikey, that's the most perfectly formed tree I think I've ever seen! Liking the edit a lot too. The violin shot is fascinating, and I can't help but think of other compositions...such as a very tall vertical with just the violins. Can you talk about what drew you to the specific composition you posted? Thanks Matt!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by Matt Quinn » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:53 pm

Psjunkie wrote:Much improved in my opinion Matt...

Thanks Frank. Am now in PS trying to play with it. Fun. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by Matt Quinn » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:07 pm

LindaShorey wrote:Crikey, that's the most perfectly formed tree I think I've ever seen! Liking the edit a lot too. The violin shot is fascinating, and I can't help but think of other compositions...such as a very tall vertical with just the violins. Can you talk about what drew you to the specific composition you posted? Thanks Matt!

Thanks, Linda. Yes, it was/is a very cool tree. The farm has taken good care of it, too.

Re: violins photo. Not sure I can explicate my reasoning other than to say that I wanted to be very indirect about the instruments, not focus on them as individual instruments but as a collection/group/class(?), and be sort of "cool" about it. "Yes, we're violins, we're cool instruments, we're the prima donnas (prime donne?) in the orchestra, but we don't need to call attention to ourselves because we're cool. And, btw, it's late in the day and don't you have an appointment somewhere else?" Also, I really, really liked all that uncrowded white space, the reflections, the filigree on the side of the mirror and the effect on the instruments. I had to be careful in the room, limited by my 50mm lens and chairs, desks, music stands and, many, many expensive violins. There were angles I wanted to take but couldn't because I didn't want to mess. Does that help? Matt
Matt Quinn

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:37 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:Re: violins photo. Not sure I can explicate my reasoning other than to say that I wanted to be very indirect about the instruments, not focus on them as individual instruments but as a collection/group/class(?), and be sort of "cool" about it. "Yes, we're violins, we're cool instruments, we're the prima donnas (prime donne?) in the orchestra, but we don't need to call attention to ourselves because we're cool. And, btw, it's late in the day and don't you have an appointment somewhere else?" Also, I really, really liked all that uncrowded white space, the reflections, the filigree on the side of the mirror and the effect on the instruments. I had to be careful in the room, limited by my 50mm lens and chairs, desks, music stands and, many, many expensive violins. There were angles I wanted to take but couldn't because I didn't want to mess. Does that help? Matt

Absolutely, thank you!!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by minniev » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:29 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Another attempt as a result of Psjunkie's reaction. Credit to Frank, shortcomes from me. Matt
Wow, that's a good one Matt - all that detail, the absolutely perfect tree shape, the nice tones. This one should definitely go in your book! (And yes, this is definitely a stronger image than the first version of it that you posted).
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by Matt Quinn » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:33 pm

minniev wrote:
Matt Quinn wrote:
Wow, that's a good one Matt - all that detail, the absolutely perfect tree shape, the nice tones. This one should definitely go in your book! (And yes, this is definitely a stronger image than the first version of it that you posted).
Thanks, Minnie. Learning a lot from you folks. Yes, this is going on the back of the book. Finished it last night; coming in early January. Can't wait. Matt
Matt Quinn

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by Matt Quinn » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:40 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:44 am
52-21....you did ask but be careful what you ask for Matt...The composition is pleasing and the subject holds interest, at least for me. The image seems better suited for a lighter background to bring out the tree...I feel more detail should be brought out in the tree bark itself as there are some larger limbs that I find appealing. Not sure if you've applied that vignette but for me it is taking away from your main attraction...
Matt's Project 52: A Year in BW

#52-22: The Shout

With apologies to Edvard Munch

Matt
The Scream (1 of 1).jpg
Matt Quinn

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by St3v3M » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:42 pm

This reminds me of the evil tree in The Wizard Of Oz! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"