"Photograph things you care about, not what you think others want to see. There is no substitution for passion." —Sarah Rice

Project 52Matt's Project 52: A Year in B&W

Forum rules
Some posts may not be "safe for work". If you intend to post any nude, topless or implied nude images please include the phrase NSFW in your title.
St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Matt's Project 52: A Year in B&W

Post by St3v3M » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:37 am

Matt Quinn wrote:... photographers sometimes do foolish and dangerous things to get a picture.

Push but don't break! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:40 am

St3v3M wrote:
Matt Quinn wrote:... photographers sometimes do foolish and dangerous things to get a picture.

Push but don't break! S-

Good advice. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:29 am

Matt Quinn wrote:Looking to the far shore 3 (1 of 1).jpg
Matt Quinn wrote:
St3v3M wrote:I count twenty, maybe more, all in that one photo. Nature is amazing! S-

Yes. Amazing. Matt

Project 52-10

Looking to the far shore.

We are closing down our Cape Cod home for the winter and driving back to MD this week, so I am posting this photo early as Iwill be off-line for a period.

This inlet in Orleans, MA, has two benches on an overlook where my wife and I go with our afternoon coffee, she with a book, I with my camera. I have shot innumerable photos of grass, rocks and sailboats here. Today was something of an annual farewell visit as the weather for the rest of the week is expected to be very stormy. The distant shore is Nauset Beach with the Atlantic Ocean on the other side beyond the wind-and sea-sculpted dunes. To take this photo, I stood on one of the benches to include the tree limb. Not too smart with all my orthopedic problems and repairs, but photographers sometimes do foolish and dangerous things to get a picture.

Matt's Project 52

#52-11

A few days before winding up our 2017 summer in Cape Cod, I drove to the National Seashore in Eastham, to take some final photos of the season. Conditions were misty, breezy, overcast. I had forgotten my tripod in my rush out the door. And I had an appointment later that afternoon. Not the ideal circumstances for photos.

I parked on the side of the road, something I could not do during tourist season, and walked through scrub to the edge of the dune overlooking the beach and the thundering Atlantic about 100 feet below. The mist thickened to the right, (south), hiding the horizon. Waves near the shore were cresting between 6 and 10 feet but the perspective from the top of the dune did not illustrate that. I waited for someone to walk by, but no such luck. So, I went ahead and took a series of photos.

The dunes are sculpted by wind and storm surge, exposing scrub roots and gradually moving the cliff farther back. I thought of some lines from one of my favorite poems, “Dover Beach” by Matthew Arnold:

“Listen, you hear the grating roar
Of pebbles which the waves draw back, and fling,
At their return, up the high strand,
Begin and cease, and then again begin,
With tremulous cadence slow, and bring
The eternal note of sadness in.”

I don’t hear what Arnold did; the beach, its movement, energy and life bring me joy. Matt

attachment=0]Project 52-11 Nauset Beach cliff (1 of 1).jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
Project 52-11 Nauset Beach cliff (1 of 1).jpg
Matt Quinn

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:42 am

Matt Quinn wrote:Matt's Project 52

#52-11

A few days before winding up our 2017 summer in Cape Cod, I drove to the National Seashore in Eastham, to take some final photos of the season. Conditions were misty, breezy, overcast. I had forgotten my tripod in my rush out the door. And I had an appointment later that afternoon. Not the ideal circumstances for photos.

I really like this one, it's simple and yet powerful. The strong black and minimalistic approach makes me feel cold as if I was there. Love it! S-

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:42 am

#52-11

I really like this one, it's simple and yet powerful. The strong black and minimalistic approach makes me feel cold as if I was there. Love it! S-

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:00 pm

St3v3M wrote:

#52-11

Thanks Steve. I had lost my password and was unable to login for about a week, so I am trying to catch up today. BTW, I have been trying to understand ETTR and found this article helpful, although I don't completely understand all of it. I don't have the url, but it is ETTR Explained, in Photography Life, 6/29,17. I am going to experiment with the suggestions to see what results. Thanks for your encouragement. Matt
Matt Quinn

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:52 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:Thanks Steve. I had lost my password and was unable to login for about a week, so I am trying to catch up today. BTW, I have been trying to understand ETTR and found this article helpful, although I don't completely understand all of it. I don't have the url, but it is ETTR Explained, in Photography Life, 6/29,17. I am going to experiment with the suggestions to see what results. Thanks for your encouragement. Matt

Exposing to the Right Explained

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:05 am

St3v3M wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:52 pm
Matt Quinn wrote:Thanks Steve. I had lost my password and was unable to login for about a week, so I am trying to catch up today. BTW, I have been trying to understand ETTR and found this article helpful, although I don't completely understand all of it. I don't have the url, but it is ETTR Explained, in Photography Life, 6/29,17. I am going to experiment with the suggestions to see what results. Thanks for your encouragement. Matt
Exposing to the Right Explained
Project 52

#52-12

Two chimneys

Waverly Mansion, located in Howard County, MD, was built in the mid-18th century and sits on property that was first patented to Charles Carroll of Carrollton, a signer of The Declaration of Independence. The estate and building passed through inheritance and purchase to several different families in the 18th and 19th centuries, gradually adding acreage to the tobacco plantation for a final total of over 1300 with 999 slaves. John Howard, governor of MD in the late 18th century, gave it to his son, George, as a wedding present in 1811, who then renamed it “Waverly,”after the popular 1814 novel, “Waverley” by Walter Scott.

Over the two centuries, the building has undergone several renovations, restorations and expansions. In 1964, the property, by that time a little over 900 acres, was purchased by a realty company. Planning, subdividing, political bickering and development of a golf course, landfill, housing and a school slowly took place thereafter. Howard County purchased the Manson and the 4-acre parcel in 1989 and now leases it as a wedding and occasional venue.

Matt
Attachments
Two chimneys (1 of 1).jpg
Matt Quinn

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:56 pm

Having been born in a town named Carrollton in honor of Mr Carroll and having recited his story in school as a child, this has particular historical interest to me. Photographically it is of interest because of the sharp contrasty capture and great management of tonalities. That the cloud appears to be emerging from the leftward chimney is an extra bit of whimsy.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:36 am

minniev wrote:Having been born in a town named Carrollton in honor of Mr Carroll and having recited his story in school as a child, this has particular historical interest to me. Photographically it is of interest because of the sharp contrasty capture and great management of tonalities. That the cloud appears to be emerging from the leftward chimney is an extra bit of whimsy.

Thank you, Minnie. I had to wait for the cloud to move leftwards; you noticed. Thank you. Matt
Matt Quinn