“The only way you'll find out if you 'have it in you' is to get to work and see if you do.” —Cheryl Strayed

Project 52Laura's 2016 Attempt at PROJECT 52 - #1

The goal of Project 52 is to take a photo a week. This is an easier pace than the Project 365.
- Start a thread with your name such as, "MyName's 52" or "MyName's Photo-a-Week Project" so other members can easily track your project. Some Posts May Be NSFW. If you intend to post any questionable images, please include NSFW in the title
Forum rules
Some posts may not be "safe for work". If you intend to post any nude, topless or implied nude images please include the phrase NSFW in your title.
laura72568
Mentoris Inceptor
Mentoris Inceptor
Posts: 142
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:41 pm
Reputation: 23
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Laura's 2016 Attempt at PROJECT 52 - WEEK #33

Postby laura72568 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:25 pm

Was testing out a Canon 70-300mm L lens the other night on my Canon 5DSr...Putter was my subject! 300mm, ISO800, f/5.6, 1/20.

User avatar
St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 2250
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:02 am
Reputation: 101
Location: 35,000 feet
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Re: Laura's 2016 Attempt at PROJECT 52 - WEEK #33

Postby St3v3M » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:47 pm

laura72568 wrote:Was testing out a Canon 70-300mm L lens the other night on my Canon 5DSr...Putter was my subject! 300mm, ISO800, f/5.6, 1/20.

Putter looks a little soft, but aren't we all when well loved and well fed! And while I usually try to get to the subjects eye-level, I like the angle of this shot, whether for it's submissiveness, or the mother-furperson view, it works!

Thank you for sharing and keep them coming! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

laura72568
Mentoris Inceptor
Mentoris Inceptor
Posts: 142
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:41 pm
Reputation: 23
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Laura's 2016 Attempt at PROJECT 52 - WEEK #34

Postby laura72568 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:48 pm

Cattle Egret near Anahuac area in Texas...at 560mm, ISO 800, f/8, 1/2500.

User avatar
St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 2250
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:02 am
Reputation: 101
Location: 35,000 feet
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Re: Laura's 2016 Attempt at PROJECT 52 - WEEK #34

Postby St3v3M » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:08 pm

laura72568 wrote:Cattle Egret near Anahuac area in Texas...at 560mm, ISO 800, f/8, 1/2500.

The image feels soft, but I love the capture and that you were able to get that close!

Thank you for sharing and keep them coming! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

laura72568
Mentoris Inceptor
Mentoris Inceptor
Posts: 142
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:41 pm
Reputation: 23
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Laura's 2016 Attempt at PROJECT 52 - #1

Postby laura72568 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:59 am

What am I doing wrong to make my last two images soft??? I guess I don't see that. I'd love any advice.

User avatar
St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 2250
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:02 am
Reputation: 101
Location: 35,000 feet
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Re: Laura's 2016 Attempt at PROJECT 52 - #1

Postby St3v3M » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:01 am

laura72568 wrote:What am I doing wrong to make my last two images soft??? I guess I don't see that. I'd love any advice.

Personally I'd love to hear from others as it could be me, but the images look to either have the wrong depth of field, or more likely motion blur.

If it bothers you I'd be happy to help more, otherwise they are beautiful examples of cherished memories! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

User avatar
TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 2748
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:42 am
Reputation: 35
Location: Fredericktown, MO
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Re: Laura's 2016 Attempt at PROJECT 52 - #1

Postby TomCofer » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:28 am

I do see the shot of Putter being a bit soft but acceptable. The Egret looks ok to me.

If you took the shot of Putter at 1/20th of a second, I suspect that may have caused it. 1/20th of a second allows a lot of time for camera shake or subject movement. I don't know of these were handheld or if a tripod was used, but the general rule for handheld is not to drop the shutter speed below the mm you are shooting. 100mm = 1/100 sec. 300mm = 1/300 sec. and don't drop below 1/60th of a second. Of course, that can vary by how steady your hands are and if you are using something for support. Additionally, with today's tech, many lenses will allow you drop down a stop or two with their VR or Anti-shake features.

Your depth of focus will also be much shallower at 300mm than 100mm when using the same f-stop.
There is also the possibility that you have an lens that needs micro focus adjusting. Sometimes the lens and camera body don't pair up perfectly and micro-adjustments need to be made. I suspect that I have this problem with one of my lenses, but haven't gotten around to attempting the adjustments.

I like both shots BTW. :D
Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

User avatar
St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 2250
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:02 am
Reputation: 101
Location: 35,000 feet
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Re: Laura's 2016 Attempt at PROJECT 52 - #1

Postby St3v3M » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:37 am

TomCofer wrote:I do see the shot of Putter being a bit soft but acceptable. The Egret looks ok to me.

If you took the shot of Putter at 1/20th of a second, I suspect that may have caused it. 1/20th of a second allows a lot of time for camera shake or subject movement. I don't know of these were handheld or if a tripod was used, but the general rule for handheld is not to drop the shutter speed below the mm you are shooting. 100mm = 1/100 sec. 300mm = 1/300 sec. and don't drop below 1/60th of a second. Of course, that can vary by how steady your hands are and if you are using something for support. Additionally, with today's tech, many lenses will allow you drop down a stop or two with their VR or Anti-shake features.

Your depth of focus will also be much shallower at 300mm than 100mm when using the same f-stop.
There is also the possibility that you have an lens that needs micro focus adjusting. Sometimes the lens and camera body don't pair up perfectly and micro-adjustments need to be made. I suspect that I have this problem with one of my lenses, but haven't gotten around to attempting the adjustments.

I like both shots BTW. :D

Well said, and I meant no harm, only to help where I can! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

laura72568
Mentoris Inceptor
Mentoris Inceptor
Posts: 142
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:41 pm
Reputation: 23
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Laura's 2016 Attempt at PROJECT 52 - #1

Postby laura72568 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:51 pm

I appreciate your comments! I just wanted more detail as to how to fix it. I always appreciate feedback. I agree that the 1/20 was my issue on Putter. I was hand-holding the camera. I guess I thought it looked pretty clear on my 27" Mac! LOL. Always learning and that's the great thing about photography! :-)

User avatar
St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 2250
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:02 am
Reputation: 101
Location: 35,000 feet
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Re: Laura's 2016 Attempt at PROJECT 52 - #1

Postby St3v3M » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:24 pm

laura72568 wrote:I appreciate your comments! I just wanted more detail as to how to fix it. I always appreciate feedback. I agree that the 1/20 was my issue on Putter. I was hand-holding the camera. I guess I thought it looked pretty clear on my 27" Mac! LOL. Always learning and that's the great thing about photography! :-)

We're all finding our way on this journey and the more we help each-other the better! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"


Return to “Project 52”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests