"Sometimes imagination is no more than randomness applied." —Piet Francke

Project 52Matt's Project 52: A Year in B&W

Forum rules
Some posts may not be "safe for work". If you intend to post any nude, topless or implied nude images please include the phrase NSFW in your title.
Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Matt's Project 52: A Year in B&W

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:11 pm

Matt's Project 52: A Year in B&W
#52-94: Tents at sunrise and sunset

Drummer Boy Park near our Cape Cod home hosts concerts, art shows and flea markets during the tourist months. This week, the Cape Cod Art Guild, a juried, invitation-only group of artists from as far away as NY, have their three day exhibit. I took the first photo in the early morning yesterday as the artists were bring their material into the tent and the second in the evening after they had left. Both were about from the same location, facing west.

I visited the show in the afternoon. Three photographers have their work on display, mostly landscapes/waterscapes as you might suspect. Two had some b&w work; I bought a small piece from one of them, Ron Wilson. (www.rwilsonphoto.com)

When I studied the photo this morning, I noticed something that is different from my photos; mine tend to be stark blacks and stark whites; Ron's had a lot more of the in-between tones and almost looked cream in parts. (Ernst's has a lot of that, I believe.) I I will ask Ron how he did that; I suspect he converted from a color file and played with the different color channels.

Matt
Attachments
photoMentoris (1 of 1)-171.jpg
photoMentoris (1 of 1)-172.jpg
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by St3v3M » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:37 am

Matt Quinn wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:11 pm

Drummer Boy Park near our Cape Cod home hosts concerts, art shows and flea markets during the tourist months. This week, the Cape Cod Art Guild, a juried, invitation-only group of artists from as far away as NY, have their three day exhibit. I took the first photo in the early morning yesterday as the artists were bring their material into the tent and the second in the evening after they had left. Both were about from the same location, facing west.

I visited the show in the afternoon. Three photographers have their work on display, mostly landscapes/waterscapes as you might suspect. Two had some b&w work; I bought a small piece from one of them, Ron Wilson. (www.rwilsonphoto.com)

When I studied the photo this morning, I noticed something that is different from my photos; mine tend to be stark blacks and stark whites; Ron's had a lot more of the in-between tones and almost looked cream in parts. (Ernst's has a lot of that, I believe.) I I will ask Ron how he did that; I suspect he converted from a color file and played with the different color channels.

Matt
Oh, I really like the first! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:28 pm

Thanks Steve. Matt
Matt Quinn

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:08 pm

minniev wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:49 pm
Matt Quinn wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:41 pm
#52:93: Home on the road home

After a quick afternoon visit to our happy place overlooking the cove in Orleans--no-see-ums drove us away--we passed this home ablaze with late sun. It shouted: Take my picture!. So I did.

Matt
Looks like I'd imagine a classic Cape Cod house would. Good work with that light!

Minnie,

It took a few days but I wanted to find a few "cottages" that would be considered more typical of the Cape than the one above; that one caught my attention, I suspect, because it was somewhat different. Usually, the cottage has unpainted, weathered shingles with a modest front facing and often close to the road and was built by the first generation in a family. With each succeeding generation, if the family keeps the property, a new section gets added to accommodate the growth with a resulting railroad car effect as one part leads to the next. But sometimes, the originals build for posterity as in the first three photos below.

The third photo shows the side which faces the bay; the views from the house, however, have been obstructed significantly by the trees which have sprouted over time. The owners had planned to cut them down a few years ago but the town authorities warned they would impose an $85,000 fine for each tree. Reason? Ecological damage to the beach and bay, which are about 10 yards away, from the runoff of storms which can be very destructive. The house foundation could also have been undermined since it is built on sand, with the house sliding into the lot. In the past decade, storms have caused substantial damage to both beach and lot; the town has spent several million dollars to repair them.

A recent phenomenon, which has the locals grousing understandably, is when a Boston or NYC stockbroker buys a cottage with a killer view, knocks it down and builds a monument to financial success, as in the second set of three photos. The "Old Cape" is slowly disappearing. But, as always, it will become old in time and subject to a make-over that may not be welcomed by the current owners, who will be long of tooth and slow of foot by then but unafraid to loudly recall the "good old days."

Matt

Matt
Attachments
photoMentoris (2 of 6)-2.jpg
photoMentoris (1 of 6)-2.jpg
photoMentoris (3 of 6)-2.jpg
photoMentoris (5 of 6)-2.jpg
photoMentoris (6 of 6)-2.jpg
photoMentoris (4 of 6)-2.jpg
Matt Quinn

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:05 pm

#52-95: Fencepost.

Matt
Attachments
photoMentoris (1 of 1).jpg
photoMentoris (1 of 1).jpg (218.41 KiB) Viewed 141 times
Matt Quinn

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:25 pm

fascinating story/history about these homes.

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:04 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:08 pm
minniev wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:49 pm
Matt Quinn wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:41 pm
#52:93: Home on the road home

After a quick afternoon visit to our happy place overlooking the cove in Orleans--no-see-ums drove us away--we passed this home ablaze with late sun. It shouted: Take my picture!. So I did.

Matt
Looks like I'd imagine a classic Cape Cod house would. Good work with that light!

Minnie,

It took a few days but I wanted to find a few "cottages" that would be considered more typical of the Cape than the one above; that one caught my attention, I suspect, because it was somewhat different. Usually, the cottage has unpainted, weathered shingles with a modest front facing and often close to the road and was built by the first generation in a family. With each succeeding generation, if the family keeps the property, a new section gets added to accommodate the growth with a resulting railroad car effect as one part leads to the next. But sometimes, the originals build for posterity as in the first three photos below.

The third photo shows the side which faces the bay; the views from the house, however, have been obstructed significantly by the trees which have sprouted over time. The owners had planned to cut them down a few years ago but the town authorities warned they would impose an $85,000 fine for each tree. Reason? Ecological damage to the beach and bay, which are about 10 yards away, from the runoff of storms which can be very destructive. The house foundation could also have been undermined since it is built on sand, with the house sliding into the lot. In the past decade, storms have caused substantial damage to both beach and lot; the town has spent several million dollars to repair them.

A recent phenomenon, which has the locals grousing understandably, is when a Boston or NYC stockbroker buys a cottage with a killer view, knocks it down and builds a monument to financial success, as in the second set of three photos. The "Old Cape" is slowly disappearing. But, as always, it will become old in time and subject to a make-over that may not be welcomed by the current owners, who will be long of tooth and slow of foot by then but unafraid to loudly recall the "good old days."

Matt

Matt
They are a lot like the rambling houses in Maine, with bits and pieces added on, sometimes with little apparent overall design. I love them!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:06 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:11 pm

Matt
Nice use of shape!

Yes, the conversion using different color channels gives you so much more flexibility. You can do that in LR, PS or Nik. How you print these things can make a difference too.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:19 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:25 pm
fascinating story/history about these homes.
Thanks Piet. Matt
Matt Quinn

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:21 pm

Thanks Minnie. Matt
Matt Quinn