"The more we study, the more we discover our ignorance." —Percy Bysshe Shelley

Project 52Dave's Project 52

Forum rules
Some posts may not be "safe for work". If you intend to post any nude, topless or implied nude images please include the phrase NSFW in your title.
Matt Quinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Dave's Project 52

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:13 pm

davechinn wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:24 pm
Here it is week #3 of my project 52 and do wonder if I'm gonna be able to keep up. Time moves rather quickly, but so far so good. The weather has been cold and snowy. I can handle the snow, but the temperature is another story.

I have two shots of the same subject this week, just at different angles, the 2nd one is a little different from previous post processing, just mixing things up while experimenting at the same time.

Bicycle rentals that are popping up all over the place. I have seen them in various cities and prices seem reasonable @ $8.00 per hour. I may consider a photo ride once the weather breaks.
Dave,

So far, so very good. Wonderful tones in #1; wish I could get those. Also wish I could get down that far without needing help to get up. Some really tall dude must have rented the nearest bike in #2. Wonderful perspective in both photos, playful leading lines, dof and processing. Ironic shot of the truck in #2 at end of the line. Did you have to wait for that?

Thank you. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

minniev
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by minniev » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:58 pm

davechinn wrote:
Here it is week #3 of my project 52 and do wonder if I'm gonna be able to keep up.
It is way too early to give up Dave! Hang in there. You know you it's good for us to be out on a regular basis with camera in hand! These are good images that use the receding/repeating elements of the aligned bikes to hold the compositions in places, and it works well in both cases. The bike elements are the strongest compositional element in the second, while the overhead wires are the strongest element in the first. I'd be hard put to choose a favorite, I like them both!

Don't quit on us, we're just getting started!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus

Post by PietFrancke » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:30 pm

good job with your project Dave - I am seeing some nice shots. I like the people shots the best. And the stories that you are drawing out... Keep at it!

davechinn
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius

Post by davechinn » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:40 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:38 am
davechinn wrote:
Here it is week #3 of my project 52 and do wonder if I'm gonna be able to keep up. Time moves rather quickly, but so far so good. The weather has been cold and snowy. I can handle the snow, but the temperature is another story.

I have two shots of the same subject this week, just at different angles, the 2nd one is a little different from previous post processing, just mixing things up while experimenting at the same time.

Bicycle rentals that are popping up all over the place. I have seen them in various cities and prices seem reasonable @ $8.00 per hour. I may consider a photo ride once the weather breaks.
Oh, I really like the second! It's amazing how processing can help tell the story. Beautiful! S-

Thank you Steve !!! The second one is totally off the wall different from my norm, but I could get used to it, because I rather like it as well.
Dave

davechinn
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius

Post by davechinn » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:58 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:13 pm
davechinn wrote:

Dave,

So far, so very good. Wonderful tones in #1; wish I could get those. Also wish I could get down that far without needing help to get up. Some really tall dude must have rented the nearest bike in #2. Wonderful perspective in both photos, playful leading lines, dof and processing. Ironic shot of the truck in #2 at end of the line. Did you have to wait for that?

Thank you. Matt

Thanks Matt, much appreciated !!! Your absolutely correct about getting down and back up again. It's a challenge and one I try not to do much anymore, but since have made a correction to be easier on myself by purchasing a waist level viewfinder attachment for my camera. https://www.adorama.com/us%20%20%20%209 ... mcQAvD_BwE
The truck in #2 was parked on the street. You cant see it, but the curb is further in for parking, but no parking where the bikes were because the location of the bikes were near the corner.
Dave

davechinn
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius

Post by davechinn » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:04 pm

minniev wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:58 pm
davechinn wrote:
Here it is week #3 of my project 52 and do wonder if I'm gonna be able to keep up.
It is way too early to give up Dave! Hang in there. You know you it's good for us to be out on a regular basis with camera in hand! These are good images that use the receding/repeating elements of the aligned bikes to hold the compositions in places, and it works well in both cases. The bike elements are the strongest compositional element in the second, while the overhead wires are the strongest element in the first. I'd be hard put to choose a favorite, I like them both!

Don't quit on us, we're just getting started!

Absolutely, too early, the cold weather is difficult to get out in. I force myself (within reason) to get out. I appreciate the encouragement and will continue on.
Dave

davechinn
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius

Post by davechinn » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:20 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:30 pm
good job with your project Dave - I am seeing some nice shots. I like the people shots the best. And the stories that you are drawing out... Keep at it!

Thanks Piet !!! I'm with you, the people shots is what I lean to as well, but I'm trying to escape from my comfort zone and venture into unknown territories as a challenge to myself. I'm not much of a story teller, but just tell it as I see it, as best I can, because it's difficult to elaborate week to week, but as with anything, practice is key for improvements.
Dave

davechinn
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius

Post by davechinn » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:30 pm

Week #4 of Project 52. I have forced myself out 3 times this week only to accept my third outing to be the addition of week 4.

This is an image of Cincinnati/Ohio River that was shot from a different location that I usually don't go, but has a different point of view. I'm including a B&W and color version, because the bridge is bright yellow, but my version has been toned down some. The bridge is known to the locals as the Big Mac Bridge, but the proper name is Daniel Carter Beard Bridge. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Ca ... ard_Bridge

The B&W version I used a 16mm f2.8 fisheye lens, where the color version was with a 80-200mm f2.8 at 80mm range.
Attachments
Cincinnati DEC_9399w B&W.jpg
DEC_9397w color.jpg

minniev
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by minniev » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:06 pm

davechinn wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:30 pm
Week #4 of Project 52. I have forced myself out 3 times this week only to accept my third outing to be the addition of week 4.

This is an image of Cincinnati/Ohio River that was shot from a different location that I usually don't go, but has a different point of view. I'm including a B&W and color version, because the bridge is bright yellow, but my version has been toned down some. The bridge is known to the locals as the Big Mac Bridge, but the proper name is Daniel Carter Beard Bridge. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Ca ... ard_Bridge

The B&W version I used a 16mm f2.8 fisheye lens, where the color version was with a 80-200mm f2.8 at 80mm range.
These re great, Dave. That first one is so moody and dramatic with all those clouds and the sun blasting through the peephole. The second is a more geometric architectural shot with cool toning and an interesting angle. Nice additions to your portfolio.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Matt Quinn » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:00 pm

davechinn wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:30 pm

Dave, I am not a fan of fisheye lenses; I get woozy looking at the photos. Wonder what the b&w would have looked like if you had not used the fisheye. The mood is wonderful and memorable; well done. #2 is very sharp and dramatic but doesn't have the emotional impact on me that #1 does. It's postcard-perfect. The first it Dave-perfect. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange