"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." —Arthur Ashe

Project 52Matt's Project 52: A Year in B&W

The goal of Project 52 is to take a photo a week. This is an easier pace than the Project 365.
- Start a thread with your name such as, "MyName's 52" or "MyName's Photo-a-Week Project" so other members can easily track your project. Some Posts May Be NSFW. If you intend to post any questionable images, please include NSFW in the title
Forum rules
Some posts may not be "safe for work". If you intend to post any nude, topless or implied nude images please include the phrase NSFW in your title.
minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Matt's Project 52: A Year in B&W

Postby minniev » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:17 pm

# 52-4

Looking at the previous 3 photos as well as this one, I clearly am drawn to the water; it's all around us here on Cape Cod. We leave for MD at the end of October, so, until then, here's more of the sea.
The dead trees in the harbor mark the safe channel into port which is on the other side of the jetty. Each tree is about 20-30 feet tall, sunk deeply into the sand so they do not wash away even in the most violent storms. At low tide, the water line is about 1 mile out, beyond the farthest tree, leaving the trees fully exposed down to the sand. The sign on the nearest tree reads: No Parking.
MattRock Harbor, sunset fishing 2 (1 of 1).jpg[/quote]

I really like this one, with those skinny trees and their signs on the upper left offset by the boat on the upper right, the small patch of grass offset by the big clump of rock, the small rock at the bottom offset by the ripples of the water. This is a deceptively simple image that has amazing balance. Each element has a complementary balancing element. It is as pleasing as a piece of good music.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Matt Quinn » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:02 am

Minnie, You are so good for my very fragile ego. Thank you. Coming from the Lady of the Dam Birds, this is a comment to remember when inspiration is on holiday and nothing is working. Thank you. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:31 am

Matt Quinn wrote:... the Lady of the Dam Birds...

Love It! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby Matt Quinn » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:32 am

St3v3M wrote:
Matt Quinn wrote:... the Lady of the Dam Birds...

Love It! S-

#52-5

My wife and I took a day trip to Martha's Vineyard today; gorgeous weather in the 70's, no crowds. I stopped to chat with this fellow and learned that his name is Rev. Leo Christian, pastor of the Baptist Church next door. He informed me his was sitting in his office at the moment. Leo is temporary/part-time pastor, and has spent his years traveling to troubled parishes to help them resolve difficulties. His ancestors, reaching back several generations, lived in an area of Scotland (he mentioned it but I didn't recognize it and soon forgot it) where the monks Christianized the natives; hence they all took the surname Christian. He may have been pulling my leg. I saw a Harley in his driveway and asked if it was his. He claims he got it after his sons had grown and gone. This, too, could have been a yarn spun from the porch for the man with the camera. Been known to happen.Matt
Rev Leo Christian (1 of 1).jpg
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby Matt Quinn » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:01 pm

#52-6

Hunting the perfect pumpkin

Cape Abilities, founded in 1968, provides education, counseling, housing, health, and employment opportunities for Cape Cod people and families with disabilities. It operates stores, galleries and garden and flower nurseries, and partners with numerous organizations. Clients work at manageable tasks under light supervision, earn salaries and benefits, and pursue appropriate education opportunities. We buy vegetables, flowers and, in the fall, our pumpkins and gourds there. This is from our visit today.
Pumpkins (1 of 1).jpg
Matt Quinn

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby Matt Quinn » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:12 am

52-6

Hunting the perfect pumpkin, #2

The First Congregational Church, United Church of Christ, (Organized 1720) in Chatham, annually imports hundreds of pumpkins from a Navajo Reservation in New Mexico and spreads them across its front lawn for sale to tourists and townies.
Perfect pumpkin (1 of 1).jpg

A portion of the sales goes back to the reservation; the rest, the congregation uses for charity work on the Cape to buy clothing, food and fuel during the winter for the poor. The crop has been on the lawn for a week or so now, and some have rotted; a volunteer was gathering them today in his little red wheelbarrow.
Perfect pumpkin #2 (1 of 1).jpg

May all our hunts be fruitful, for all our days are short. Matt
Matt Quinn

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:10 am

Matt Quinn wrote:52-6
May all our hunts be fruitful, for all our days are short. Matt

The first has a lot of impact and amazing stories to tell! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby Matt Quinn » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:56 pm

Thanks Steve
Matt Quinn

LindaShorey
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius

Postby LindaShorey » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:36 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:...May all our hunts be fruitful, for all our days are short. Matt

Wow, I love the composition of the first, Matt! Seems so quintessential New England, I have to chuckle over learning the pumpkins are imported :) The tight framing and upward angle are very eye-catching.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby Matt Quinn » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:40 pm

Thanks Linda. I took that one from the street (Street Photography?) which allowed the low angle since the lawn sits above a 5-foot wall. So the pumpkins were at eye level. We head back to MD next week leaving New England behind till next year so I need to keep my finger on the shutter while here. Thanks again. Matt
Matt Quinn

Return to “Project 52”