"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." —Arthur Ashe

People CritiqueKick

Images containing people; portraits, family, lifestyle, street, photojournalism, sports, weddings
Psjunkie
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Kick

Postby Psjunkie » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:03 am

Any thoughts...
Attachments
20171007FGS_3469-Kick_toned.jpg

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Kick

Postby Duck » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:18 am

The moment, the story that moment tells, is pure joy. This scene is so relatable it would bring a smile to anyone who has kids, loves sports or just understands the power and excitement of obtaining a goal. The combined use of the soft focus effect, the monochromatic treatment and the timed action all work to tell that story very clearly and without clutter. A definite plus.

The effect and color treatment work well together in this image but there are two issues I see that glare out at me which are easily correctable. One is the transition on the edge of the circle of the effect. It's rather abrupt and, in my opinion, a bit off the mark. I feel the ball, an integral part of the story needs to be within the sharper area of the circle. The second part is the amount of blur on the other players. The strength of the effect has depersonalized them to the point where they don't seem to matter to the scene, which is far from the truth. I like that they are nondescript as it pulls the viewer's attention to the hero of the story. I just feel it could be lessen'd so that they become part of the action without taking away from the principal player.

When applying blur consider applying it in a more natural way like the blur from depth of field. I.e. Foreground players are in front of the focal plane, main player in focus, net then background behind the focal plane.

Hope this helps.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImageImage

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby LindaShorey » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:23 pm

I read Duck's critique prior to forming my own opinion, so my thoughts are now influenced by his observations and commentary (which are greatly appreciated - for my own learning - in his straightforward and clear writing style).

Frank, my first thought is the blur treatment overall is so strong that I'm distracted from enjoying the captured moment. I love the subject, but the pp choices are a bit outside my comfort zone. Just one of those "personal preference" comments - not particularly helpful to your own interests and style.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Psjunkie
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Postby Psjunkie » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:44 pm

Duck...I appreciate your comments and understand your stance...am digesting your food for thought.

Linda...Thank you for your opinion and the time to give it, it's perfectly fine to not like the treatment and I appreciate you giving me your take..

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:00 pm

Linda sort of echoes my point on the overall strength of the effect, but while it may be a bit strong for many I am of the opinion that experimentation and 'failure' should be encouraged as they are very useful teaching tools. My favorite quote from Thomas Edison is, “I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”

This forum wasn't designed to, "show off your very best to prove yourself to others." There are plenty of other venues for that. This place was designed exactly for this, to bounce ideas, get feedback and advance in this crazy love affair called photography.

On a side note, I do hope my, "...straightforward and clear writing style," is appreciated. At the least I hope everyone understands that my only aim is to push to advancement, not demean efforts. Nothing positive comes from ripping people down.

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby LindaShorey » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:50 pm

Duck wrote:...On a side note, I do hope my, "...straightforward and clear writing style," is appreciated. At the least I hope everyone understands that my only aim is to push to advancement, not demean efforts. Nothing positive comes from ripping people down.

Duck, several of us who joined pM within the past year have much experience in another forum with ultra-rude and nasty. Your marvelous and thoughtful teaching style is not in the same solar system, let alone the same planet :D
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Psjunkie
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Postby Psjunkie » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:47 pm

Ideas and opinions are the reason I post in this section Duck...not to worry with comment to me as I've no problem with blunt or eloquent and have been around long enough to know to consider the source when demeaning is encountered...

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Postby Matt Quinn » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:07 am

Frank, I looked at this soon after you had posted and before anyone had commented and didn't like it, but couldn't explain why so I didn't write anything. I didn't know what you had done because I am not familiar with the blurring effect; I just knew it was distracting from the action. The standing around is typical of kids at this age, all waiting for something to happen even though it is happening right in front of them; I think you caught that, as well as the kick that the boy will dream about, it if went in. If you do reprocess this as Duck suggests, I would like to see it. My druthers: I don't like sepia for pictures of current events, much less so for this kind of a scene with children. I suspect that it might have more impact in B&W, but then I am on a b&w kick. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:13 am

Thank you guys, you're awesome. It's sometimes hard to sense how others take the (my) written word in a forum. Like you, I too have had experiences with rudeness, misconstrued comments, egos and the ever loathsome trolls in other forums.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Postby Psjunkie » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:56 pm

Thank you for comment Matt, I can't explain why as you know I am a b/w kinda guy and don't generally care for toned images either but this one didn't feel right in b/w...I don't expect for everyone to always like my images but I do like forthright comments about them so don't hesitate to give me yours, all feedback has value for me.....

No, no, no, no, noooo Duck....Thank youuuuu!!

Return to “People Critique”