"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." —Arthur Ashe

People CritiqueKite Surfers

Images containing people; portraits, family, lifestyle, street, photojournalism, sports, weddings
Psjunkie
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Kite Surfers

Postby Psjunkie » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:33 pm

A brief unexpected encounter....don't feel obligated to comment on every photo..
Attachments
20170813FGS_3224-The_Medic.jpg
The Medic
FGS_3226-The_fly_by.jpg
The Fly By
20170813FGS_3221-The_Acrobat.jpg
Th Acrobat

Psjunkie
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Re: Kite Surfers

Postby Psjunkie » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:45 pm

and one more...
Attachments
FGS_3232-Bringing_up the rear.jpg
Bringing up the Rear

Psjunkie
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Postby Psjunkie » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:55 pm

None of this came up in the order I had wanted...I don't guess it really matters...

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Postby minniev » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:25 pm

All these are very nice, Frank, you're getting your kit surfing shots mastered. My favorite is #3, it's got so much dynamic movement/power in the outstretched hand in the water. The closeups are nice. It's a pretty impressive sports series. Good work.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Duck » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:40 pm

These are definitely really awesome images. Dynamic compositions, great editing and impeccable timing.
I really like that you presented #3 (the Acrobat) in black and white as my attention goes straight to the man and the fantastic muscle tones. Color, I feel, may have distracted from that.
In #2 (the Fly By) I am amazed that it looks as if the rider is looking straight into the lens... AND SMILING! At least it looks like a smile. It could be a grunt from exertion too but I'll take it as a smile. :-)

#4 (Bringing up the Rear)... well, all I can say with this one is that is can very easily be found in Sports Illustrated. It's that good.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImageImage

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby LindaShorey » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:43 pm

All are fantastic IMO!

#1 - the tension from the angle of the cables and the man's position show tremendous exertion.

#2 - love the composition - all that empty space and where the person is in the frame. Great impact.

#3 - imminent disaster? Great timing on your shot.

#4 - Can't imagine a better close-up.

Very inspiring series, Frank!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Psjunkie
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Postby Psjunkie » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:20 pm

minniev wrote:All these are very nice, Frank, you're getting your kit surfing shots mastered. My favorite is #3, it's got so much dynamic movement/power in the outstretched hand in the water. The closeups are nice. It's a pretty impressive sports series. Good work.
Thank you minniev means a lot..

Duck wrote:These are definitely really awesome images. Dynamic compositions, great editing and impeccable timing.
I really like that you presented #3 (the Acrobat) in black and white as my attention goes straight to the man and the fantastic muscle tones. Color, I feel, may have distracted from that.
In #2 (the Fly By) I am amazed that it looks as if the rider is looking straight into the lens... AND SMILING! At least it looks like a smile. It could be a grunt from exertion too but I'll take it as a smile. :-)

#4 (Bringing up the Rear)... well, all I can say with this one is that is can very easily be found in Sports Illustrated. It's that good.
I couldn't see the two b/w any other way, as for smiling and looking into the lens she was almost forced to as I moved in her path knowing she was going to get some air...Sports Illustrated might be a bit of a stretch Duck and I am humbled by your comments....

LindaShorey wrote:All are fantastic IMO!

#1 - the tension from the angle of the cables and the man's position show tremendous exertion.

#2 - love the composition - all that empty space and where the person is in the frame. Great impact.

#3 - imminent disaster? Great timing on your shot.

#4 - Can't imagine a better close-up.

Very inspiring series, Frank!
Thank you Linda..good to see you back..no disasters were had...I almost didn't get any of these shots...It was snack time with the kids with lots of talk, then I happened to turn and they were on us...emptied my hands, grabbed the camera an ran for the water...the acrobat and medic were just about past while the fly by and rear made a couple of passed after they saw what I was doing...managed an email to bringing up the rear and he was appreciative....

ErichBrunner
Mentoris Validus
Mentoris Validus
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Postby ErichBrunner » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:41 am

Psjunkie wrote:A brief unexpected encounter....don't feel obligated to comment on every photo..

Two is interesting because of the perspective. Wonderful how you were able to shoot up at the girl in the air. Awesome.
Three is probably my favorite because of the tension and the action. I think this one really benefits from being Black and White.
The last shot, the closeup, works great in color and you really get to see the intensity in the athlete's face.
These are all very good.
Erich

Psjunkie
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Postby Psjunkie » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:38 pm

ErichBrunner wrote:These are all very good. Erich
Thank you Erich, I was hoping to get more when they came back by but they must have had a chase vehicle as I never saw them again....

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:42 am

Psjunkie wrote:A brief unexpected encounter....don't feel obligated to comment on every photo..

The third is a sic shot that should be on the cover of Kiteworld, Kitesurfing, or The Kiteboarder Magazine. Sic! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Return to “People Critique”