Critic's CornerKick

From pro and amateur field sports to concerts and performance events.
- Images are subject to constructive comment, discussion and critique. If you do not want critique post in the Member's Showcase.
User avatar
Psjunkie
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis
Posts: 257
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:20 am
Reputation: 19
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Kick

Postby Psjunkie » Sun May 15, 2016 4:30 pm

C & C
Attachments
Soccer_phpBB.jpg
Feel free to do as you wish with any of my photos. If you are able to receive compensation for their use, we are then (me 51% you 49%) partners. Then do the honorable thing and contact me so I can send my cut to the charity of my choice.

User avatar
St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 1058
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:02 am
Reputation: 83
Location: 35,000 feet
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Re: Kick

Postby St3v3M » Sun May 15, 2016 5:20 pm

Psjunkie wrote:C & C

I think you've found a career in sports photography. Thank you for sharing! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

User avatar
Psjunkie
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis
Posts: 257
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:20 am
Reputation: 19
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Re: Kick

Postby Psjunkie » Sun May 15, 2016 5:46 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Psjunkie wrote:C & C

I think you've found a career in sports photography. Thank you for sharing! S-
Thank you for taking time to comment.
Feel free to do as you wish with any of my photos. If you are able to receive compensation for their use, we are then (me 51% you 49%) partners. Then do the honorable thing and contact me so I can send my cut to the charity of my choice.

User avatar
Ceropegia
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Posts: 609
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:06 pm
Reputation: 67
Location: Appalachian Foothills of Northeast Alabama
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first
Contact:

Re: Kick

Postby Ceropegia » Mon May 16, 2016 12:01 pm

I love the action in this shot. However, since you posted in the Critic's Corner, I would like to add my two cents and hope you will not be offended. The grass spilling out of the frame and then dissipating into the background is somewhat disconcerting to me. I really think the boy should make a clean escape from the frame with no grass extending outside; or, perhaps as an alternative, extending the grass to the edges of the image would make a more solid looking escape pathway for him.
Martha
In the Appalachian foothills of Northeast Alabama

http://www.ipernity.com/home/picture_taker

User avatar
TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 2739
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:42 am
Reputation: 35
Location: Fredericktown, MO
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Re: Kick

Postby TomCofer » Mon May 16, 2016 1:37 pm

I like this shot a lot overall, but I do get the feeling that something should be done a bit differently, not sure just what. Perhaps Martha is on the right track. It's something you might consider experimenting with a bit more.
Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

User avatar
Psjunkie
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis
Posts: 257
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:20 am
Reputation: 19
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Re: Kick

Postby Psjunkie » Mon May 16, 2016 2:32 pm

Ceropegia wrote:I love the action in this shot. However, since you posted in the Critic's Corner, I would like to add my two cents and hope you will not be offended. The grass spilling out of the frame and then dissipating into the background is somewhat disconcerting to me. I really think the boy should make a clean escape from the frame with no grass extending outside; or, perhaps as an alternative, extending the grass to the edges of the image would make a more solid looking escape pathway for him.
You have a valid point here, thank you. I am posting here specifically for critique and look forward to other's views.

TomCofer wrote:I like this shot a lot overall, but I do get the feeling that something should be done a bit differently, not sure just what. Perhaps Martha is on the right track. It's something you might consider experimenting with a bit more.
I believe she is thanks for commenting Tom.
Feel free to do as you wish with any of my photos. If you are able to receive compensation for their use, we are then (me 51% you 49%) partners. Then do the honorable thing and contact me so I can send my cut to the charity of my choice.

User avatar
Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 1208
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:31 am
Reputation: 121
Location: Shelton, CT
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Re: Kick

Postby Duck » Thu May 19, 2016 12:53 am

You are on the right track PSjunkie. Here are a few tips to get a believable 3D effect.

Based on this and the other image you posted, I feel the image is being over complicated with too much spilling out. For your next attempt I want you to keep the following guidelines in mind.

  1. Think of the frame as a window you are looking through to the environment, not the subject. The environment stays outside.
  2. Now, think of your subject as stepping through that window into the viewer's space. Based on the viewer's perspective of the exterior, through that window, the subject will break the frame as it steps in through the frame. Those areas will be what get masked.

On the technical side, build your frame on it's own layer and apply a perspective warp so the far side of the frame looks slightly smaller than the near side and the horizontals get a realistic taper as it recedes.

Finally, add a drop shadow to the frame and any part of the subject that springs forward. This will sit the whole structure on a ground plane and give the subject some depth.

Hope these tips help.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

User avatar
Psjunkie
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis
Posts: 257
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:20 am
Reputation: 19
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Re: Kick

Postby Psjunkie » Thu May 19, 2016 1:40 am

Duck wrote:You are on the right track PSjunkie. Here are a few tips to get a believable 3D effect.

Based on this and the other image you posted, I feel the image is being over complicated with too much spilling out. For your next attempt I want you to keep the following guidelines in mind.

  1. Think of the frame as a window you are looking through to the environment, not the subject. The environment stays outside.
  2. Now, think of your subject as stepping through that window into the viewer's space. Based on the viewer's perspective of the exterior, through that window, the subject will break the frame as it steps in through the frame. Those areas will be what get masked.

On the technical side, build your frame on it's own layer and apply a perspective warp so the far side of the frame looks slightly smaller than the near side and the horizontals get a realistic taper as it recedes.

Finally, add a drop shadow to the frame and any part of the subject that springs forward. This will sit the whole structure on a ground plane and give the subject some depth.

Hope these tips help.
Wonderful food for thought Duck, thank you for comment.
Feel free to do as you wish with any of my photos. If you are able to receive compensation for their use, we are then (me 51% you 49%) partners. Then do the honorable thing and contact me so I can send my cut to the charity of my choice.


Return to “Sports & Entertainment Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest